I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Flex Coat starter kit
Posted by: Andrew Kempker (---.satx.res.rr.com)
Date: July 27, 2009 06:24PM

Since this is my first post, I will do a fast intro. I have been recently introduced to the world of rod building, thanks to Terry at FTU in Houston. Well the problem is I live in San Antonio, and the city is not friendly to rod builders. It is hard to find any kind of supplies anywhere around here, so I have been wondering around this board for about a month just reading different posts. I have had the pleasure to be guided by Mr. Dennis Freeman (a local rod builder), to build my first custom rod which will hopefully start at the beginning of next month. I am very excited about the new hobby, and it has gotten to the point my poor wife has gotten tired of listening to me ramble on about my various rod designs.

Here is my question….I have found a flex coat starter kit on @#$%& for about $185.00. Is this worth the money, and is a good investment for a first time rod builder. I didn’t want to be “that guy” who asked a question that has been directed multiple times, so I did a search every which way on the subject and was unable to locate any kind of thread. If this thread has already been stared, can you please send me the link.

Thanks in advance for all your assistance…..Andrew

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Flex Coat starter kit
Posted by: Steven Franatovich (---.sip.msy.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 27, 2009 07:24PM

I just started about a month ago and I bought the kit ur talking about. It was a great investment I have built 5 rods and have had no problems. I just wish I had more dryers sometimes. It don't come with everything you need but it will get you started. The things I had to buy after the kit was: caliper, thread assortment. more mixing cups, brush's, a lamp, china markers, and a place to build them at. I set up shop in my bedroom and my wife isn't to happy about it. Let me tell you once you buid one your hooked.

Posted by: Scott Parsons (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: July 27, 2009 07:35PM

Andrew, Karen and I would like to invite you to check out FishSticks for you rod building supplies, We are working with terry at FTU and would like to help you as well. Thanks Scott Parsons

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.ppoe.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: July 27, 2009 09:50PM

Don't feel bad Andrew. My closest supplier was in Shelbyville TN , about 150 miles south, now he's gone to Florida !
I buy everything relative to rod building from the Sponsors on the left of this page via internet.
Can't beat Fishsticks, Scott and Karen will take good care of your rod building needs. Plus they will call you or e-mail you if they have a question about your order, you just can't beat service like that. Wonderful folks, and Karen is a lot prettier than Scott !

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.186.117.75.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: July 27, 2009 10:15PM

My closest supplier is 5 hours 1 way but UPS is a wonderful thing.
I started with the same kit and it built 4-5 rods with it and learned a lot. Take your time and I'm sure it'll turn out better than you expect it to.

Posted by: Scott Parsons (205.244.119.---)
Date: July 28, 2009 08:07AM

J.B. I thought you cared about me! Beauthy is in the eyes of the beholder. Thanks for the kind words. Karen and Myself do try our best to give good service. Thanks

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster