I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Flies tied onto blank
Posted by: Andrew Metzger (---.afspc.af.mil)
Date: July 27, 2009 09:30AM

After spending some time on the water learning a specific nymphing technique, my dad asked me to build a 10' 5wt for him. So I was thinking of different ways to make this rod unique and I came across the follow pic in the gallery:

[www.rodbuilding.org]

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Anyway, I love that effect, I would love to learn how to do this to the same level that Terry has. But I got to thinking about it, why not tie bugs into the thread wraps like tying flies on tubes, except keeping them only on one side of the blank instead of havnig them encompass the entire blank.. I'm not sure how exactly it would be done, I put a bit of practice into it the other day and didn't get too far in the 10 minutes I spent on a practice stick. Has anyone ever seen this done or have any advice on this? I figured I could put different nymphs into the blank at measurement points above the grip.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Flies tied onto blank
Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.122.31.71.static.ip.windstream.net)
Date: July 27, 2009 12:13PM

That's a cool idea.
I can't help you with how to do it, but it looks neat.

Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: July 27, 2009 12:39PM

you need to be able to tie something that doesn't have much height from the blank. otherwise you will end up with a large amount of epoxy to cover and protect it, you may want to try a fly or real bug and dry it flat like putting leaves or flowers in a book to flatten them. you could use something like a dowel to get them to dry to a concentric shape. i don't know if this would work on real insects and i am sure to do it with a fly might limit what materials you use to get the best effect. i have done some inlays in polyester casting resin for reel seats and handles, but never tried real insects or flies.

good luck with your endeavor and let us know what you come up with. if you really put your mind to it you will have fun with both successes and failures as you learn how to work with different materials

Posted by: Andrew Metzger (---.afspc.af.mil)
Date: July 27, 2009 12:56PM

I was thinking of something small and flat like you mentioned john, getting the height right I don't think will be too much of a problem. I tried putting a phesant tail into the wraps. Feathers for the tail are not a problem. The body on the other hand has still eluded me from a good solution. To get the phesant material twisted and with the right taper and silver wire wrapped and keeping it flat.....that's the hard part for me so far, the thorax, wing case, and legs aren't hard as I put the peacock just under the wing case on the edges to give it the look that it's profiled.

As far as the body goes, are there any problems using starched products under epoxy? I figurd maybe just tie the phesant tail on a straight pin, but tie it longer than needed, starch it, iron it flat, remove the pin and iron it again, wrap it in and trim the ends as it's wrapped. I may experiement with different things until I get it right, you guys know better than me about attaching things under epoxy with the feather in-lays and such, your suggestions are more than welcome.

Posted by: Mike Winkler (---.samuelmanutech.com)
Date: July 27, 2009 03:09PM

[www.rodbuildingtutorials.com]

Here is a how to.

hope it helps

Posted by: James Hicks (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: July 27, 2009 10:24PM

A picture lies flat. Get closeup photos of his fly collection and create a collage that you can print onto decal paper and mount in place of a butt wrap. Individual flies can be printed out small onto the same decal paper and epoxied in with the guide wraps. You can even get waterslides cut down small enough to mount onto the tip top...

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster