I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Painting rod blanks
Posted by: Harold Dean (---.client.eng.telusmobility.com)
Date: July 23, 2009 05:18PM

I did a search and can't seem to find exactly what I'm looking for. I want to refinish a rod. It appears under the existing guide wraps that there was no gloss finish (for lack of a better term) used under the wraps. It almost looks like the rod was wrapped and then the gloss finish put on the entire rod after this. Would they do that???

I'm thinking of air brushing the rod for an even finish. What type of paint should I use if airbrushing, and would I airbrush a clear cloat finish on afterwards to get the glossy effect back. Would automotive clearcoat be the best, or what would you suggest for paint and finish.

thanks
Harold

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Painting rod blanks
Posted by: John Martines (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 23, 2009 06:05PM

For one rod see if an autobody shop will shoot it for you. I use 2K urethane clear which is IMO the best looking and tough. For color paint I use Duplicolor or 2K type finish in a gun. With all colors I shoot the 2K clear over with no problems except red and black. I use red and black single stage color (Built in gloss)

Many people use Permagloss wipe on moisture cure urethane and it works great but can be fickle over paints not cured well. I wouldn';t suggest krylons or Spar types though they do ok they are not as tough as any auto type finish.

Posted by: Rusty Byrley (---.houston-06rh16rt-07rh15rt.tx.dial-access.att.net)
Date: July 23, 2009 06:18PM

I shoot Acrylic that you buy in the hobby stores, many of them pearls. Createx makes Air Brush Paint. Its very inexpensive and comes in many colors and is extremely durable. I spray lures all the time and then go over it with Valspar Automotive Clear. I was very intimidated at first with the clear coat but found out that it was simple. Airbrush Depot has all the Createx colors they make. But they also have H O Kolor if you want to go that way.

Posted by: Harold Dean (68.182.132.---)
Date: July 24, 2009 09:59AM

I found what I wanted. It would help if I typed in the right search parimeters.

thanks
Harold

Posted by: Vella (---.sd.sd.cox.net)
Date: July 26, 2009 08:03AM

When I refinish a rod I never finish under the guide wraps, Reason... I use Perma Gloss and brush it on. You lay out where your guide wraps will be and then apply the finish while spinning the blank, Just in the areas where the blank will be exposed. That way, You are doing short sections at a time and can keep a "wet edge" and the fast curing finish (Perma Gloss) will flow out and not leave brush marks. When you install and wrap your guides, You overlap down onto the refinhed section and the rod will be totally encapsulated when you put finis on your wraps. I've been doing it this way for years

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: July 27, 2009 12:43AM

Hey Bill,

What about the center area under the guide feet (assuming you use double foot guides). Do you only relieve the areas where it will be wrapped?

Terry

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster