I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Resoring a fiberglass rod ?
Posted by: Dennis Pedersen (---.adsl.cybercity.dk)
Date: July 23, 2009 12:53PM

Hello Everyone.

Ive read around this site for quite a few days now, and i have to admit, that i´m utterly stunned, amazed and descretely baffeled by the works some of you guys pull off... wow...

Now, i finaly got to find the currage, will and possibility to take my own baby-steps into this amazing world of rod-building.

This is what i have:
No tools yet.
An old, very used Fiberglass rod with 3 guides left on it.

The rod have been used onboard an open boad, fishing for Garfish with old monofilament line on an old reel.

Rod-value is equal to nothing, and i consider it a very nice place to start off.

Is there anything i should consider / reconsider on this idea of mine, other than get a book and some tools, and then start asking questions here when stuck ?

Now im here, i might aswell introduce myself i guss...

I did notice that the majority of the users and sponsors originate from the other side of the Atlantic...
So i really hope you guys don´t mind a visitor from Denmark, Europe hanging around ?
Aged 32, 2 kids, gilfriend, and i fish mostly Sea-Trout off the coast.

Current rod'n reel: Fenwick IF II 10' married to a Shimano Stradic GTM-RA 2500

My dream: Rebuild my Fenwick to match this special lok i have in my head...

Best regards,
Dennis Pedersen, to-be-hooked rod builder apprentice.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Resoring a fiberglass rod ?
Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 23, 2009 01:39PM

Dennis,

You stated: " to-be-hooked rod builder ", forget it dude, if you're here, the hook is already set now you just have to play and be landed!!! You've picked a good place to start!!! Before you do anything else, visit the sponsor ( to the left ) of your choosing and purchase the book " Rod-Building Guide: Fly, Cast, Spin " written for Amato Publishing by our very own Tom Kirkman. It'll be the best $15 US, that you EVER spend!! Ha Ha Mike, beat ya to it LOL!! That book wil guide you through any tools, supplies, techniques, you need to get started. Also remember to read through the Library section, FAQ's, and Glossary above. I would also, highly recommend you find a Rod Builder near you, contact and pay them a visit and just watch, listen, and LEARN. Also, if it is at all in your power and ability to do so, make plans to attend the Iternational Custom Rod Building Exposition held in High Point, North Carolina, USA on February 20th and 21st, 2010. You'll be glad you did, and kick yourself if you don't!! Welcome to this AWESOME addiction called Rod Building, and this HUGELY informative forum!! Above all, don't be afraid to ask questions even if you feel they're stupid or have been discussed before!! Remember, the only stupid question is the one NOT asked!!

Bill in WV

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/2009 03:59PM by William Bartlett.

Posted by: William (Bill) Jones (---.c002.t7.mrt.starband.net)
Date: July 23, 2009 02:19PM

Dennis, listen to Bill!! My baptism was in High Point at the EXPO last year & went to the seminars & was blown away with the common sense knowledge freely given without the hope of fee or reward by the whole rodbuilding community.
Jump in & get your feet wet. More knowledge here than can be measured.
Bill

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/2009 02:27PM by William (Bill) Jones.

Posted by: Jason Kesckes (---.hrbgpa.east.verizon.net)
Date: July 23, 2009 02:39PM

welcome !!!!!

Jason Kesckes. Aint no fish'n like bass fish'n

Posted by: Andy Klosky (---.kwk.clearwire-dns.net)
Date: July 23, 2009 11:20PM

Besides just reading around this site, you can search topics and that will pull what has been covered on various topics in the past. Good luck on your first build / re-build!

Date: July 24, 2009 04:04AM

Hi again :)

Thanks for the welcoming, and to Bill, i guess you are right.. The hook is set, and it's setting deeper by every post, article and picture i see and read.
The book is on my wish-list, and has been for some time now, since economics for an un-employed in Denmark, don't look good :S

I read about the HP EXPO, and hope that one day i can attend, but again, living in Denmark, this is a costly affair hehe. Who knows about the future though... hehe :)

However, lack of economics, im not ruled out yet.
I´ll have the beaten-up rod at the beginning of the next month, and i learned that the only tools i need to start with, is a razor blade, a fair amount of cloth, sandpaper and loads of attention to what im doing while stripping and cleaning the rod down to a perfect base blank to work on...

Looking over the shoulders f other builders here in Denmark, can be rather difficult. I signed up at the only rod-builder site i could find in the Danish part of the internet, wich consists of app. 4-5 active people..
That fact drove me into getting actively involved here, despite some of the obvious disadvantages when it comes to sources, materials language etc etc. :)

Oh, and please forgive my spelling errors here and there, and please accept a somewhat limited threshold of terms used in the rod-builder craft :(

Now, better bury this thread as it seems to fall out of the correct use of these forums :S

Best regards
Dennis Pedersen
- Danish hooked rod builder apprentice.

Date: July 24, 2009 11:23AM

Took me a trip to the local library. Seems there´s only one "real" known book about rodbuilding in Denmark, in Danish....

Guess what... The Danish Library Association have descided to bring home copies of the book for us Danes to read hehe :)

So, within a few weeks, i´ll be reading the suggested book, adding a few more $$ to Tom :) ... will undoubtly buy it for myself when my dedication to this craft is better known :)

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 24, 2009 10:34PM

Before Tom chimes in here, I BELIEVE, not sure though, that he might have been paid by Amato Publishing to pen that book and does not get royalties. I'm sure he'll correct me if I'm wrong. However, it is IMHO the very first book you should read and have in your personal library. Don't get me wrong there are other excellently written books on the subject out there by Dale Clemens, and others, that should also be in your library. But the one that Tom wrote is geared more toward the beginning builder, by being easily understood and more up to date, so to speak. A definate "MUST HAVE" for today's new builder. If you are more of a see - and - do, as apposed to a read - and - do builder as am I, there are a gazillion VHS and DVD video's out there as well. If you are more akin to going that route, then let me suggest "Rod Building Basics" by Ken Preston. Again, geared more toward the beginner. Once again, welcome to the "asylum"!! LOL

Bill in WV

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 27, 2009 10:22AM

They did not pay me to write it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster