I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

All Star Titanium vs St. Croix SCv
Posted by: Dave Rodgers (206.150.115.---)
Date: December 05, 2002 04:51PM

I am in the process of selecting the highest quality most sensitive rod blank I can find to buid four specialized spinning rods. I am trying to determine which is best between the All Star Titanium and the St. Croix SCv graphite rods. Can anyone lend an opinion that might help. I am not concerned with price as a consideration at this point, only quality.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: All Star Titanium vs St. Croix SCv
Posted by: Judd Stanislawski (64.213.222.---)
Date: December 05, 2002 06:18PM

I built a rod using the SCv St Croix rod blank it was the 6' 3" MXF. I was very happy with the performance and weight of the rod.The rod(spinning)was built for jigging on the river for walleye. As far as the All Star I can't say sense I have never built with there blanks. Good luck with your choice.
Judd S.

Posted by: Fred Nelson (---.207.221.86.charter-stl.com)
Date: December 05, 2002 07:51PM

Dave:
Check out the Lamiglas Titanium /IM700 Graphite combination. I built one for myself and love it. It is a great blank.

Posted by: stan mclean (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: December 05, 2002 07:54PM

i just went through the same process, and decided on the st. croix. i beleive it's the lightest blank on the market, hopefully mine will come in tomorrow. good luck

Posted by: Thomas Juster (65.34.104.---)
Date: December 05, 2002 10:25PM

Stan,
I'd read too that they were supposed to be super light, but in the catalog (on their web site) they don't seem that way at all. For example, the SCV 9' 4-piece 5-wt weighs in at 1.70 ounces, which is 0.20 ounces HEAVIER than the same configuration in SCIV! What gives here? Are the SCV's just a better combination of durability and light weight?

Posted by: stan mclean (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: December 05, 2002 10:48PM

thomas, i'll be the first to say i don't know jack about fly rods. sorry

Posted by: Bill Moschler (---.ag.utk.edu)
Date: December 06, 2002 09:16AM

I have not tried the titanium all star yet, but even the older models were some of the absolute best rods around. I would take my chances and go with the allstar. At least try one and see how you like it.

Posted by: Terri Cheatham (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 06, 2002 04:52PM

Greg in my shop just built his titanium from lamiglas and WOW what a beautiful rod. Its light and very sensitive. He and his fishing pal went fishing and usually calvin catches all the fish but got sick after Greg was catching the fish. It has a place of honor in the front of the shop so people can pick it up and admire it.
Terri :)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster