I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Is there a blank to match this rod??
Posted by: Adam Edwards (210.9.200.---)
Date: July 07, 2009 09:47PM

G'Day

I'm from Brisbane Australia. Over here we have a rod called the E.Grell S10. The specs of are: 7' 3-10kg(6-20lb)
1-20g (1/16-3/4oz). Eric Grell, the designer and builder of these rods has a legendary status. These rods, regularly pull in fish well over the 15 - 20kg (~40lb) mark. If you look at his website egrell.com.au you will quickly see why this rod has this following with regular catches of Tuna, Mackeral, Barramundi etc.

The blanks for this rod are made by CTS in NZ but are not available to the public. The blank uses a multi modulas system and has a helical core.

For an extremely light rod, this has some power.

Is there a blank out there that can match this performance??

Regards Adam

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is there a blank to match this rod??
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 07, 2009 10:09PM

Unless someone here is reading this and has experience with that blank, and another similar one, you'll have to rely on your own best suspicions. Match as many specs as you can.

You might call Ross at the RodWorks and see what he advises. He'll surely be aware of it and what, if any, blank comes close to matching it.

Posted by: Chris Beverley (125.7.56.---)
Date: July 08, 2009 03:02AM

Hi Adam,
I have some St Croix SCIV and Loomis IMX & GLX blanks which seem to have similar attributes. Ultra fast action and nice and slender. I have had great success on 6-10kg Kingys in Sydney on these blanks which are rated at 12-20.
It is annoying when you can't find factory or custom rolled rods as blanks.

Posted by: Charles Clayton (58.172.152.---)
Date: July 08, 2009 03:56AM

I suppose you would want what our american friends call a hot shot blank, as far as the spec go you can stick any lable you like on a blank it does'nt mean it really has those qualities. You can't really match 1 g with 10 kg which is not to say CTS or Grell arn't a great product..

Posted by: Ted Morgan (---.static.tpgi.com.au)
Date: July 08, 2009 06:56AM

Adam, Eric designed these blanks and as you mentioned, CTS makes them exclusively for him. I have to say though, that Charles is pretty close with the call on a HotShot blank. However, the lure weight rating is based on what Eric was throwing when testing the models out. The S10 has garnered pretty high class status in your part of Oz, and wider.

CCS would be able to paint a better picture.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 08, 2009 09:54AM

Adam,
Check the Loomis HS9600, or the Batson IP904.
I would guess that either of these rods would work well for your application.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Robert Balcombe (---.rb.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: July 09, 2009 02:58AM

I maybe wrong but here is the story. I believe the Helical Core system was developed in Southern California around San Diego and was made by a company I believe the company was called GUSA. Any way the designer builder sold his copy writes the the down under guys. I have heard good bad and indifferent about the blank. One thing that all the reports agree on is that it is a heaver blank do to its construction. When building the blank they use no scrim for hoop strength. This is accomplished by how they cut their graphite and roll it onto the Mandel. Please someone correct me if I have made a miss statement.

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Charles Clayton (58.172.152.---)
Date: July 09, 2009 06:01AM

Probably a bit hard on the Grell rod and can see Kyeemagh now have them down south, I'll have to go have a look see. I'm not sure about the construction methods however the graphite helical core or maybe just a scim has been used since the earliest days in NZ, with my old CD rods outlasting my fiberglass sticks from that era.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster