I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Micro fly top for spinning rod
Posted by: David Spence (---.ec.res.rr.com)
Date: July 01, 2009 06:32PM

I have several 5.0 tube, size 4 micro tops for fly rods-Any problem using them for tops on spinning rods? Thanks-David Spence, Beaufort, NC

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Micro fly top for spinning rod
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 01, 2009 06:58PM

David,
You can use anything that you want on any portion of any rod that you build.

It is up to the user of the rod to reveal any problems with any parts used to build the rod.

With respect to tips - if you forget about the size of the hole, you have to think about what sort of abuse the tip will be subjected to.
If you use an unbraced very small tip on a conventional rod - you may end up replacing it for a number of reasons.

You may find that if you want to pass a knot through the tip or guide you may have problems.
If the tip ends up getting abused and caught somewhere and or knocked about, if the tip is not braced, you may find that the tip ends up breaking off the end of the rod.

I have had some recent problems with some rods being returned and asked that they be reguided with larger sizes because the client was using the rods for bobber fishing and was using a bobber stop knot on the line.

Although passage of the line was no problem, the bobber stop knot would hang up on one of the smaller running guides or the tip guide.

So, I had to size up any guiides and tip to be at least a size 7 to handle the slip bobber knot.

------

As with any product, the maker needs to know the intended use for the rod, before building the product. If not, the client will end up unhappy and it is quite likely that the product will end up broken because it is being used for a non intended use.

For example, in the afore mentioned case, the very sensitive drop shot rod was actually being used for bobber fishing with a slip bobber knot on the line.

Not a good use for the rod, but I am not the client. I can only advise, recommend and build. But ultimately, it comes back to the client and the client's needs and wishes.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.36.96.216.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: July 01, 2009 09:17PM

My current project is my first endeavor with an unbraced top, so I'll let you know how it works out.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: July 01, 2009 09:39PM

The short answer is YES. However, like Roger said, one needs to consider many factors.

David, you didn't mention rod power, any line connections, ect.. If your talking about a light
to M/H spinner and no line connections to pass you shouldn't have a problem unless abuse
come into question.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.36.96.216.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: July 01, 2009 10:11PM

Raymond,
You mentioned something I hadn't thought of, line connections. I use 20# Sufix braid uni to uni to 20# Seagar floru leader. I've found that with this set up, 4s are the smallest I use and still pass the knot. The top I'm using is the one of the new American Tackle micro tops, I'm hate to say I don't know the model number.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: July 01, 2009 10:23PM

If you know the ring will pass the connection then your good to go

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: July 01, 2009 11:43PM

I've found that line like the fluoro leader doesn't like to bend nicely thru that size tip top, any bigger and maybe even that size line causes a friction restriction. That's when you go up to a standard 6 tip top. Looks a bit off but works better.

Posted by: George Forster (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: July 03, 2009 10:29AM

David,
As other have said, use the smallest guide that will pass the required connections. I would add, if the rod is going to be roughly treated (stored in a boat and/or to be used by someone who is tougher on his or her gear), use a braced TT, instead of one that is unbraced. MIcro tips (and other "lightweight" techniques and components) really help to realize the full potential of any blank (even a "value" blank). Those fly tops will work great on spinning rods, provided the meet the aforementioned ctriteria.
George

Posted by: Scott Sheets (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: July 04, 2009 10:39AM

I would NOT recommend the use of an unbraced top on ANY rod period. I tested the unbraced tops on a few of my micro builds early this year. I managed to break two unbraced tops in only 6 days of fishing. I had them on a drop-shot rod and a crankbait rod. Both rods were protected in sleeves while in transport in the rod locker of my boat. They were treated the same as all of my other rods (I don't abuse them, but I tournament fish, so they are tools to do a job), from putting them in and out of a rod locker, laying on the deck while running and just fishing with them the repeated bending caused he metal to distort and the rings to pop out. Neither of these tips had baits reeled up to them either, I always use my hook-keepers.

OK, that was longwinded.....point is. I either use a split tube alconite for lighter line, a size 5 or 6 tip for heavy line, and for my personal rods I just wrap a guide as the tip. I don't do this on customer rods because they all think it looks weird.

Scott Sheets
www.smsrods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster