I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

micro guides on flip'n/ carolina rig rod
Posted by: Bucky Allen (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: June 29, 2009 09:33PM

will these work or are they to small

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: micro guides on flip'n/ carolina rig rod
Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.dsl.emhril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 29, 2009 09:41PM

I am sure Bill Stevens will have something to say about this, but after what I saw on one fo his rods at the Duck River Gathering, I don't think there will be any problems with them. Bill had a rod for lipless crankbaits and all it had on it was micro guides and that rod cast the lure so well. I am working on my own flipping/pitching rod and it will mostly be micro guides.

Posted by: David Page (---.239.17.98.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: June 29, 2009 09:58PM

If it's a true flipping rod (meaning flipping and not pitching) then you may want go with a 6 for the first guide and then step down to a five and then the small ones the rest of the way. I played with one with all micro's on it and had a little bit a trouble getting a hold of the line between flips. I stepped up to a 6 (which was recommended by another builder) and problem solved. If it's for pitching (instead of flipping) and carolina rigging then micro's will be just fine because you are in effect making a cast and aren't having to grab the line off the top of the blank for the pitch. Hope that helps.

David Page
E-town, KY.

Posted by: Scott Sheets (---.sub-166-156-63.myvzw.com)
Date: June 29, 2009 09:59PM

I'm using them on my flipping and c-rig rods. I do a forhan style spiral w/ 6dbl, 5, 4,3 to the tip and a size 6 tip.

Scott Sheets
www.smsrods.com

Posted by: Bucky Allen (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: June 29, 2009 10:21PM

hey scott where do you get you decals or do you do them yourself

Posted by: Scott Sheets (---.sub-166-156-63.myvzw.com)
Date: June 29, 2009 10:25PM

I do them on my own with the decal paper from Swampland.

Scott Sheets
www.smsrods.com

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: June 30, 2009 01:58PM

Thanks David!!

Maybe we can figure out a way to settle the pitching/flipping issue so everyone can talk about the same thing.

I think the simplest way to say it is the following:

When presenting a bait while flipping the reel spool does not turn -

When presenting a bait while pitching the reel spool rotates.

Both of these techniques can be improved by reducing the tip weight of the rods being used.

Many highly qualified fisherman, including Elites, are using rods with micro guide trains for both pitching and flipping.

I am using the marketing term "micro rod" for any fishing rod that uses guides smaller than 5.0 as running guides.

These rods are different, easily identifyable, highly functional, extemely durable and marketable to persons who have never seen one before. A micro rod is an easier sell than a conventional spiral wrapped rod due to the reduced tip weight and percieved rod sensitivity when felt in hand. They get peoples attention quickly!

I know Steve Gardner is bouncing up and down wanting to answer this post - he has an injured hand and can not work, fish or even type an answer to this thread. Oh boy - I can dance with the wolves in the clear until he can type!

Look at the Electrics in the Pic done on Swampland Media - Three Micro Flipping Sticks in the Pic for Elites all micro set ups.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2009 02:00PM by Bill Stevens.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster