I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Alps printers for waterslide paper
Posted by: Robert Balcombe (---.rb.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: June 23, 2009 03:23PM

Why can I purchase a Alps Printer that uses water slide paper and has multi inks

Good Wraps Bob

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Alps printers for waterslide paper
Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: June 23, 2009 05:22PM

Bob that technology could easily start you down a path that you may not enjoy. The Alps metallic ink printer is quite old and is obsolete and no longer fully supported by any manufacturer. Please be very specific and post on this board exactly what you want to do with the labeling on your rods. Text, pictures, names, rod details and how many labels do you use in a year? Maybe someone will have some options which meet your needs. Can you post a picture of the label your desire on the Photo Board? You will need to be able to or have someone do the required graphic file manipulations with anything you try to do yourself. Do you have access to Photo Shop, Corel Draw, Auto Cad, Avery Labeling or any word processing software to cut an paste images and text?

Date: June 23, 2009 06:19PM

Bill What I want to be able to do is this my own labeling. example of what I am looking to do, My name, type of rod and who the rod is for, I also want to do a private label. I have access to Word, Corel and Auto Cad. My wife and daughter are both computer nerds. Besides rod I also do walking sticks and canes. I am retired, so I have plenty of time on my hands. Even being retired form the general Custom rod market for the past 10 years. (At one time I owned a custom rod store front ) I Am still busy doing at least 3 rods a month at home These customers are all old clients, plus a few referrals. I do not advertise. The reason I mentioned a ALPS, I saw a demo on making water slide decals with a alps printer 2 years ago. Do you have any suggestions. I am also looking for a multi color machine that can do metalics

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Robert Russell (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: June 23, 2009 08:17PM

Bob,
You can get an Alps on that @#$%& site, but it's slim pickings. I'd suggest that even more important than where you get your Alps is who will work on it for you. You'll need someone that can help you out when you it goes down.

It sure would be nice if we could figure out a cheap way to do metallics on water slide paper.

Robert

Date: June 23, 2009 08:21PM

Bob your thinking may need adjusting - what if the media you print on is metallic and not the ink!

Your requests for an option can be done with this media.

The lable design is limitless: [www.rodbuilding.org]

Specific Information For the Decal Media Offerred By Swampland Tackle.

A kit containing six mixed sheets of decal media was introducted at the ICRBE in High Point in February 2009. The kit contained media for inkjet printers that is acceptable with all inks presently used, including archival inks. The specific details of the media can be found in the following links.

Background: [www.swamplandtackle.com]

Kit Contents: [www.swamplandtackle.com]

Samples: [www.swamplandtackle.com]

Cutting and Handling: [www.swamplandtackle.com]:

Over 1,000 packages of this media have been sold to rodbuilders this year.

The subject of Electric Decals has been quite visible on this Forum for the past four months - take a search and you will find that there are new tools that can be used.

Read the magazine article - take a look at the links listed - so a search and read more information

If there are any questions remaining send me an email.

Bill Stevens.

Date: June 23, 2009 08:55PM

Bill thank you for the info. Robert My wife and daughter are the nerds in this family. The only thing I know about this thing you can count on one finger. I can turn it on and off, plus search so if it crashes I well just go out and buy a new one LOl

Good Wraps Bob

Date: June 23, 2009 09:43PM

Maybe you need to have them read this board!

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 23, 2009 10:26PM

Bob,

Read the article in Volume 12 #1. You already have the means to do everything you want to do without buying an ALPs printer.

Posted by: stan mclean (---.hsd1.nh.comcast.net)
Date: June 23, 2009 10:44PM

I have an Alps and it works great, especially if you want the color of the blank to show through like factory rods. Very subtle and classy. They do have drawbacks, but if you can find one that works there is a bunch of info about them on this site and Yahoo groups.

Good luck. Stan

Posted by: jay ross (---.midco.net)
Date: July 05, 2009 08:22PM

i have an alps and i wouldn't part with it. in fact, i have three... just in case one goes down. alps does one thing no other printer can do (in it's price range) and that is that it can print WHITE. all other printers assume the background is white, so to attain white, it prints nothing.

an alps can print your name in white on black and blue and red and whatever color paper you have. it does foils and metallics beautifully and you can create virtually any metallic color there is if you want to take the time to figure out the color mix.

but this comes at a price now. alps no longer makes this printer for sale in the USA. if you want a new one, you'll have to buy one from japan or new zealand and maybe australia. repair depots can still be found in the USA, but i don't know what the turn around time is.

finally, the manual that comes with the alps is practically worthless. on the up-side, yahoo has a very active alps users group and they are VERY helpful to first time alps users. they have an endless library of information for the nerds in any family who need interesting late-night reading.

given all that, i'm hopeful that the holographic media available now for inkjet printers will be a viable alternative to my alps. my main concern is how much the inkjet inks will fade. i've got decals made with an alps that have been on rods for 5 years now and still no fading. that's going to be hard to beat.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster