I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

lake superior summer jigging
Posted by: jeremy wuolle (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: June 21, 2009 10:08PM

Does anyone have recommendations for a jigging blank for lake trout in Lake Superior. They are usually on the bottom in up to 250' to 300' of water, and can get good sized, like up to 30lbs. I am thinking something short and fairly stiff, but I have only jigged for them in the winter with a handline. So if anyone has experience or recommendations I would like to know.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: lake superior summer jigging
Posted by: Joseph Barthelt (63.119.9.---)
Date: June 22, 2009 01:40PM

Vertical jigging at 300 feet. That's a pretty crazy technique. I think this is the same thing my cousin did on Eerie with what was basically an oval shaped handle that they wrapped a heavy wire around. Seemed like WAY too much work to me. I've vertical jigged at 100' just off San Diego once on a charter and I gotta say I HATED using the longer pole they had out. The shorter one felt a lot less exhausting.

-jb

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (65.197.242.---)
Date: June 22, 2009 01:54PM

Haven't jigged Lake Superior, but Lake Tahoe has Mackinaws in the water depths you mentioned and rods like the G Loomis MBR 783 or 843 worked very well there.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: June 23, 2009 11:28AM

Jeremy,
I have made a few rods for Lake Superior deep water jigging, and most of the users were using 1-2 oz jigs.
Whether you are jigging in 30 feet of water for a certain fish, or 300 feet, the technique is the same and the weight requirements are similar. i.e. the jig still needs to have the same action; whether it is jigged in 30 feet, or 300 feet.
So, it is not like you are making a rod that will be jigging 2 or 3 lbs; as is the case when fishing for halibet 300 feet of water in Ak. with a 15 mph current. There you need the weight to keep the jig on the bottom in the heavy currents where you are fishing.

Having said that, the rods that I made for these clients were either 5 1/2 or 6 feet - in a medium to medium heavy action with a fast tip.
Basically, you want be to able to drop the jig to the bottom, and then impart a nice swimming action to the jig as it sits near the bottom. You want to be able to feel the fall of the jig, with the rod and see the action of the jig in the tip of the rod.

I mainly used the St. Croix series of rods in the SCII or the SCIII models meeting these requirements.

Remember, this is a simple vertical jigging stick - with just a heavier weight requirement than would normally be used for smaller fish in shallower water.

Most of the folks will be using braid in the 20-50 lb test. So, guide the rod accordingly. The braid is needed for its non stretch character in these deep waters.

Good luck
Roger

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster