I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Penn State Ind Woodturners 3-Jaw Micro Chuck
Posted by: Tony Dowson (---.ok.shawcable.net)
Date: June 19, 2009 04:57AM

I was wondering if anyone has used the Penn State Woodturners 3-Jaw Micro Chuck( I think this is the link [www.pennstateind.com] ) and how it handles cork and wood turning mandrels compared to say a drill chuck?

Thanks,
Tony

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Penn State Ind Woodturners 3-Jaw Micro Chuck
Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: June 19, 2009 08:24AM

Much better. I have 3 chucks, that Micro, teh 3 jaw, and a Nova 4 jaw - I use the micro chuck about 90% of the time for rodbuilding tasks.

Posted by: Timothy Johnson (---.37.209.180.adsl.snet.net)
Date: June 19, 2009 09:08AM

I have it and love it. Simple and good quality. I turn EVA, cork and wood in it!

Posted by: Mo Yang (---.static.rvsd.ca.charter.com)
Date: June 19, 2009 12:50PM

Billy, a bit curious how it holds a small diameter mandrel when used for cork turning? Both holds the mandrel snug enough without slippage and the drill chuck is lighter weight. Asking because I just ordered a drill chuck for one of the smallest lathes for portable use.

Thanks,
Mo

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 19, 2009 07:19PM

I also use the 3 jaw for both cork and wood mandrels in all diameters 1/4" to 1/2". Weight is not a factor, in fact the heavier weight on a rotating object is beneficial.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: June 19, 2009 08:06PM

I use a 3 jaw for mandrels and a 4 jaw for boring

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: June 19, 2009 10:34PM

Mo, the smallest mandrel I use in mine is 3/8" which has a shoulder turned down to abotu 1/4", and I do use spade bits and other assorted 1/4" shafts with no problem whatsoever with teh 3-jaw. The drill chuck I have is a bit of a pain in the hocks to tighten, I much prefer the 2 rods to tighten/loosen. I like the 2 jaw because it screws onto the headstock, as opposed ot teh drill chuck which has a taper to fit inside the headstock, it's more of a hassle to me.

Since oyu ordered it already, all you need to do is wait for it to get tehre and see how it works for you. If it holds good, then no need for the 3-jaw. I will say this, investing in a lathe ends up being a few more $'s than expected at first, for me every toold/gadget I have is well worth the money sinc eI have it at my disposal when I need it. If we can spend $100's on blanks, Titanium guides, spending the same on chucks and other stuff shouldn't be a rpoblem.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: June 19, 2009 10:55PM

Tony,
I agree with your thoughts.
Although I have the micro chuck, I use a keyless drill chuck for most of my smaller turning needs. The drill chuck is lighter, and much quicker and easier to use. The drill chuck, also has longer jaws to hold small materials than the micro chuck.
The jaws in my micro chuck are only about 5/8th deep and the shallow depth can cause issues on some materials.

However, there are some needs, where the micro chuck does a much better job than the keyless chuck. The keyless chuck will open much further than my 1/2 inch keyless chuck for example.

Take care

Roger

Posted by: Tony Dowson (---.ok.shawcable.net)
Date: June 21, 2009 01:45AM

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Like Mo,I am looking for a chuck to put on a smaller,more portable lathe that I have.I already have a 4" 4 jaw chuck that will work for some things,but the smallest diameter shaft that it will hold is around 1/2" to 5/8" I think.I want to find something for holding the smaller(1/4" to 1/2") cork and wood turning mandrels.

I have a full set of cork turning mandrels already as well,but all but one of them are 14" long and my mini lathe only has 12" between centers.A drill chuck with a #1 morse taper will work for me but it would require shorter mandrels and will limit the length of the grips I want to turn even more.I don't plan on turning any full length wood grips.I am just planning on using it for cork and birch bark grips with short 1/2" to 1" wood end caps,and maybe the odd reel seat.

A chuck that would allow me to use the 14" long cork turning mandrels I already have,as well as the smaller diameter wood turning mandrels,and pass the excess mandrel through the headstock would be nice.It sounds like this chuck might be a good option for me.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 21, 2009 03:04PM

The Micro chuck I have doesnt' allow you put put teh mandrel through teh chuck to shorten it up. I'm not sur eif the new style allows you to do this.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster