I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

tips for light lure long cast set up
Posted by: Peter Pfotenhauer (---.culp.east.verizon.net)
Date: June 18, 2009 06:24PM

Need suggestions

I want a rod for tossing small lightweight soft plastics, usually nose hooked 3-4 inch worms long distances so they can slowly settle to the bottom for a let it sit presentation for big smallmouth. Some baits may be floating, but most not: Jack's worms, 3 inch Magic Sticks, Beaver style baits.

Although baits will be small, target fish are the biggest smallies in the river: 20+ inch fish that can bulldog and pull out arms.

Will be using braided line for casting distance, though with this style of fishing bite detection is more about line watching than sensitivity, but feeling a strike isn't a bad thing, just not the primary function of the set up.

Any blank recommendations? Guides? Figure a long spinning rod, probably with a 2500 or maybe a 3000 series reel to help with casting distance.

I got a couple ideas for components but wanna see how my thinking compares with better builders on here to test my thinking.

Suggest away.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: tips for light lure long cast set up
Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: June 18, 2009 06:26PM

9000-9001 Hot Shot blank

Posted by: Jaime Choy (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: June 18, 2009 07:02PM

#6-#8 mono or fluoro top shot?

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: June 18, 2009 07:52PM

I agree with the 9000 or equivalent hot shot blank. A nice 7'6" blank with a fast light tip is the ticket.
Make sure you size your guides for 0 resistance. i.e. insure that your line is not going to be fouled by the guides and their size.

For reels, I have gone to the very large spool type reels made by either US reel or Bass Pro. These are light, very large spools, with compact cases which give a very very long casting distance. Larger spools mean fewer line revolutions per length of line. These reels also have a 31 inch per turn for retrieving the line. This helps to quickly retrieve the line when you are past the productive fishing spot.

Make the handle length such that the rod is balanced and comfortable for long casting periods.

Take care
Roger

Date: June 18, 2009 09:13PM

I catch large mouth bass with braid and light top shot mono (6#-8#) 100% of the time. I am a light tackle nut. Hahaha! . I have found that a fast/extra fast blank tends to snap the mono on the hook set if you are not careful. I use a medium light trout rod instead. The slow taper will be much more forgiving. I use a Daiwa SS 1300 for the casting distance and smooth drag. JMHO.

Posted by: Ted Morgan (---.tpgi.com.au)
Date: June 19, 2009 08:14AM

What pound braided line will you be using, and will you be running a topshot or leader?

Posted by: Denis Brown (121.213.212.---)
Date: June 19, 2009 08:43AM

Agree with the 9000 - 9001 hotshot blank

a bit of extra distance can be achieved with an 8'6" or 9' Salmon steelhead blank or extending a 9000HS blank
( double handed )
( if thats not too long for the water you are fishing )

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: June 19, 2009 08:54AM

Steelhead and salmon anglers in the NW have been using side drifting as a very effective technique. This method has been on the increase over the last 5-10 years becasue it is so effective. It requires casting very small baits such as a fingernail size glob of eggs and a split shot.

The best rods to use for this are long spinning rods, 9 1/2 to 10 1/2' usually rated in 4-8 lb line. The long flexible tip loads easily with the small bait and also provides enough backbone to land an angry steelhead.

I know the original question was around bass fishing but I would think with a small light bait, you would want a slower tip that loads more easily than a hot shot rod. While either would work, I think you would get better casting performance with the trout rod as Jaime mentions than with the hot shot rod. The hot shot rod would be better for hook sets and fishing in cover.

Light line fishing is always challenging and part of what makes it fun to match the blank to an angler's method.

Good luck!

Terry

Date: June 19, 2009 11:36AM

When using braid as a main line there is no need to do a Bill Dance kind of hook set. What I do is reel in slowly until the rod tip loads up then lift the rod up firmly. That is enough to penetrate the tough bone plates (Using thin wire hooks) at the top of the jaw. And this is with the trout rods that I use.

When you are finessing for bass it is very likely that it will be on light line and fluorocarbon leaders. This is what I do all the time and I have taught many people to do the same. One common mistake is to set the hook too hard. Newbees will lose many a hook set by doing so.

With the braid there is no need to have a super sensitive rod either. Vibrations will transmit adequately with a Walmart trout rod. When you have a quality blank you can feel the fish licking your bait so there is really no need to go to the very high end rod.

Posted by: Peter Pfotenhauer (---.culp.east.verizon.net)
Date: June 20, 2009 01:33PM

I plan to use 15/4 or 20/6 braided line with an 8lb mono or flouro leader. I think I'll skip micro guides and stick with size 6 running guides to be sure the uni uni knot for the leaders always clear the guides.

I have a Batson RX7 822.5 blank in hand I think I could use.

The hot shot blanks are not ones I am familiar with. Any more info?

They may be too long for my use from a yak though.

Anyone have specific 7'6" blanks they can recommend?

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: June 20, 2009 03:26PM

HS9000 or HS9001 Pete, those are Batson blanks and are 7'6"

DR

Posted by: Denis Brown (121.213.212.---)
Date: June 20, 2009 07:33PM

Pete

you could have told us at the start you were intending use from a yak
That application has obvious limitations in rod length.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster