I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pac-Bay Aluminum Chuck
Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: June 15, 2009 04:58PM

While using this chuck in drier mode I mistakenly allowed the chuck to rotate counter-clockwise
and all 3 jaws were unscrewed and dropped onto the lathe bed. Fortunately, the rod was fine
as it had turned long enough and the supports held it out of harms way but now I can't get the
jaws back into the chuck correctly aligned meeting in the center at the same time. Seems one
is always off a tiny bit. Is there a trick to this?

Thanks!

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Pac-Bay Aluminum Chuck
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 15, 2009 06:38PM

Yes, but generally you have to mark where they go before you take it apart. Obviously, you didn't have that option in this case.

I think if you look at the inside pieces you'll see that the slots are not in the same place on all 3. You're going to have to get that combination correct in order to have them all move to the center in the same place.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: June 15, 2009 06:48PM

Thanks Tom,

I got an email earlier suggesting to look for any numbers stamped on the jaws and the face.
Took them out looking for numbers & didn't find any. When I put it together this time I guess
I got lucky as they are meeting perfectly in the center now. Gonna pin this thread just in case
it happens again.

Off to buy a lotto ticket! Thanks again everyone.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: June 15, 2009 06:59PM

Raymond,
I am glad that you got them all back together again.

However, it is actually pretty simple to put a chuck back together correctly.
First, on most of the better chucks, there is a number on the slot for each jaw, and a corresponding number on the chuck.

However, if you don't have numbers, it is still very easy to figure out - which jaw goes in first, 2nd and 3rd.

For unmarked jaws, simply lay them all down side by side.
Then, look at the bottom of the jaws and look at the threads or grooves on the bottom of each jaw. You will find that one jaw will have threads running to the edge. Then, one that is running less close to the edge. Finally, you will have one that has its first thread even further from the edge. Thus, in that order, you have jaws, 1,2, and 3.

Now, look at the bottom of the chuck and rotate the bottom piece of the chuck. You will see that you have a starting thread on the spiral groove in the bottom of the chuck. You can actually start with any set of grooves. As you look at the bottom of the jaw, insert the jaw that you number as 1 and insert it into the chuck. Then, continue to rotate the bottom piece of the chuck up to the next set of grooves. Insert the jaw numbered 2 in that slot and continue to rotate the bottom piece of the chuck. Finally,, as the bottom piece rotates, place the 3rd jaw in the last hole and continue to rotate. Job done.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Christopher Tan (203.116.20.---)
Date: June 15, 2009 10:30PM

i took apart my chuck to clean once, and luckily, i had the luxury of anothr pac bay chuck that i could use to determine the jaw locations

-
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day..
Teach a man to fish, he'll be broke!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster