I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

satin / flat finish
Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.235.78.49.Dial1.Orlando1.Level3.net)
Date: June 15, 2009 02:26PM

I suspect an epoxy or urethane finish on a rod blank decreases impact damage, and I do most of my fishing with a fly rod in water less than three feet deep. I avoid using a rod with a shiny, high-gloss finish for the same reason I don't wear a chrome helmet while fishing shallow water.
Until now I have used a gray abrasive pad to kill the flash from the rod blank, but this method produces uneven results. Can you suggest a satin, flat epoxy, or permagloss-type finish that would help shield a rod from impact, be less likely to spook fish, and provide a uniform finish?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: satin / flat finish
Posted by: Jeremy Wagner (---.sta.embarqhsd.net)
Date: June 15, 2009 02:44PM

Helmsman Spar Urethane in a satin finish does a pretty nice job.

jeremy

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 15, 2009 03:57PM

Such coatings aren't going to shield the rod from damaging impacts. In the thickness we'd be talking about, none of them are nearly as hard as the blank itself.

Posted by: Jeremy Wagner (---.sta.embarqhsd.net)
Date: June 16, 2009 10:09AM

That's very true Tom. The rod that I used the spar urethane on is my small trout rod that gets used very hard on small brushy streams. While the finish doesn't look beat up yet, there are definite signs of wear that many people would be unhappy with. Even though I put 4 thin spray coats on, I did not expect the spar urethane to hold up well to the abuse that the rod sees. For my purposes, it has done well.

Phil, if you are looking for something that will help shield the blank from damaging impacts, in my opinion, a urethane is not the answer.

jeremy

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.187-72.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: June 16, 2009 10:46AM

Why don't you just apply two-part epoxy as usual. After the final coat has dried to the touch, but not cured. Simply use a Testor's Paint Marker in flat black to "cover" your wraps ... instant non-glare.

[www3.towerhobbies.com]

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.235.78.219.Dial1.Orlando1.Level3.net)
Date: June 16, 2009 08:33PM

Thanks for the suggestions. It's probably the case that the finish does little to protect the blank from clouser/beadhead damage, but I can hope . . . and I hope the finish spreads an impact over a larger area. So many blanks today come in a high gloss fisherman-attracting but fish-frightening finish that the wraps aren't the only or the main source of flash. I hope to discover a light and fairly durable flash-killing material that I can apply over a glossy blank to produce a more stealthy yet uniform and attractive
finished product.

Posted by: Steven Garvey (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: June 16, 2009 11:03PM

I've done a lot of woodworking and one way to dull a glossy finish is to use some 0000 steel wool and lightly buff the surface.
This will take down the shine. Pumice and water rubbed lightly will also dull a glossy finish down.
I have not tried it on rod blanks or epoxy finish but it should work.

Posted by: Rodney Unruh (---.240.203.156.swiftkenya.com)
Date: June 17, 2009 08:52AM

If you are using a matt blank already and the only glossy areas is the finish on the wraps, then you simply go very thin on the finish. What I have done on my small stream rod was put on a fair amount of finish and allow it to saturate the threads and then using a brush, took off as much as possible. The threads are locked in place and the final appearance looks like wet thread. Minimum weight, no glare, and in my opinion does not look half bad. My next 2wt will be done the same way except with silk instead of nylon.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster