I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Mono/Micros
Posted by: Peter Sprague (---.)
Date: June 11, 2009 11:44AM

I know very tiny guides can be used with braided line, but what about with standard monofiliment? For those of you who have used them much what do you feel is the smallest micro guide size suitable for use with about common 8 pound test? Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Mono/Micros
Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.physics.kent.edu)
Date: June 11, 2009 11:55AM

If you aren't passing knots, you can go as small as you want. I use 3mm guides with mono up to 0.014". If I used heavier mono, I'm sure it would be going through 3s as well. Monos that creep above 10lb. test may require a larger tip top when spiral wrapped.

Joe

Edit: I should have noted that I use Batson 3mm guides.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/11/2009 12:49PM by Joe Vanfossen.

Posted by: Mo Yang (---.static.rvsd.ca.charter.com)
Date: June 11, 2009 12:01PM

I'll note that not all 3mm micros have the same opening or inner diameter. For example, the 4.0 Fuji is actually as small as some other company's 3.0. So it also depends on WHICH BRAND of 3.0 or 4.0 you are talking about.

Mo

Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: June 11, 2009 02:55PM

the only thing i have found is if any twist is in the mono it can catch on the smaller micros. i have only had these issues with line twist on spinning setups.

Posted by: Scott Sheets (---.sub-166-156-63.myvzw.com)
Date: June 11, 2009 03:38PM

I use size 3 Batson micro's on my rods using up to 17lb. McCoy Copolymer. I do use a size 6 top on those rods though. I'll use a split tube size 4 top for rods using 15 or less...

Scott Sheets
www.smsrods.com

Posted by: mike harris (---.borgwarner.com)
Date: June 12, 2009 12:57PM

As Long as you don’t have to pass any knots there is no problem passing any line that we are likely to use on a rod with micro guides. I made these CAD models to show just how much room is left over in the ring even as small as they are.

3mm micro guide with 12lb mono line.
[www.rodbuilding.org]

3mm micro guide with 50lb mono line.
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: June 13, 2009 03:34PM

Peter; I use 2mm guides with 10 lb floro which is a little stiffer then mono and harder to handle
Like JP I've had line twist occasionally catch in a guide but only with the 1.5mm guides, and only on a spinning rod.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/13/2009 03:37PM by Steve Gardner.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster