I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Help!
Posted by: Tony Spinelli (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: June 05, 2009 04:05PM

I just finished a diamond wrap that took about 6 hrs to complete. I reached over the wrap with a ink pen in my hand and put a line of ink across the underwrap. Does anyone have a suggestion on how to get the ink off of the wrap or is it best to unwrap and start over again? I tried using a ink eraser to no avail. Not that the colors matter but it's blue ink over a red wrap. Thanks guys.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Help!
Posted by: Greg Weaver (12.54.128.---)
Date: June 05, 2009 04:52PM

Tony, possibly alcohol or acetone and a q-tip. Work carefully to try to wick the ink out.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 05, 2009 05:02PM

I think the acetone or alcohol will just smear the ink across the thread. There is one other possibility - get some red paint, every bit as close as possible to the color of the thread. With a fine brush, cover the ink mark. Let dry, apply finish. If you're lucky this may not show.

Posted by: Tony Hanson (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: June 05, 2009 06:15PM

To go along with Tom's thought, I'd put on a coat of finish first, then paint over the finish, then another coat of finish. You might find a red paint that's close enough, but if it mixes with the pen ink you're going to get a different color than what you're expecting. I'd also be concerned about paint on the bare red threads wicking along the threads into another neighboring color. Then you'd have 2 problems. Cleaner to try to cover the pen ink between coats of finish epoxy in my opinion. Good luck.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: June 06, 2009 12:30AM

One could also use a marbling technique in all the open areas.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Date: June 06, 2009 11:42AM

Progress report:

Greg, I appreciate your idea however I agree with Tom in so much as the harsh chemicals would have broken down the ink and smeared it into the entire wrap.

Tom, I considered your idea of using the paint but I would have had to go out to a hobby shop to try and match up the colors and at best hoped for a natch. The time it would have taken would have been substantial with no guarantee.

Tony, I could see your point but as with Tom's idea it would have taken lots of time with no guarantee either.

Raymound, Marbling was out of the question because this rod was being custom built to exact specs.

Thank you all for your input. What I did do was to brush on a drop of diluted Simple Green. It instantly spread into the underwrap but as it dried I noticed that the ink line had become much lighter. After it dried I went back and repeated the procedure with the same results. This time when it dried the ink line was just about gone. The next application was soaked up with a Shamwow. Now the ink line seems to be gone. The question now is will my finish adhere to the area that soaked up the simple green? I will keep all concerned informed and thanks again. Where else can rod builders get such helpful information. This sight is great.

Tony Spinelli

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: June 06, 2009 03:15PM

No telling if your going to get any fish-eyeing due to contaminant reaction with your
epoxy but CP should cover & seal up any possible contamanent.
Looks like ya gott'r licked unless CP is a problem.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Date: June 15, 2009 08:36PM

It's done. 2 coats of CP followed by the epoxy and it came out perfect.

Something to thing about. A chemest friend of mine told me that if I ever run into that problem again simply let the wrap sit in the sun for a couple of hours. The sun will fade the ink naturally.

Thanks again.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster