I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Negative guide on spiral wrap
Posted by: billy broderick (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: May 31, 2009 04:54PM

Both the forhan and slow spiral wraps have the first or butt guide at 0 to -10 degrees. Whats the purpose of the negative and how do you know when to use it? I have done it both ways and the only reason I can see to do a negative is to help spley the line with no leval wind on the reel. Anyone have any insight? I went back thru some old rm issues and couldn't find the answer althouh I have them ALL. Im sure it's there some where, but? Also in a vote which spiral do you prefer 1-Forhan Revolver 2- Slow Spiral 3-Simple Spiral? Guess it's kind of a general question as it depends somewhat on what it will be used for.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Negative guide on spiral wrap
Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: May 31, 2009 05:24PM

My 1st spiral guide always offsets to one side or the other, then the next 2-3 guides get it smoothly to the bottom of the blank. The offset helps keep the line off the blank a little better I think because your line is already starting to turn in the stripping guide rather than after.

DR

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 31, 2009 07:24PM

The ring opening precludes that any guide mounted on the zero axis will retrieve line on the zero axis. To get the line to come in along the zero axis, you have to offset the guide to the opposite side of the spiral so that the edge of tne ring, not the centerline of the guide ring, is on the zero axis.

Posted by: Mark Griffin (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: May 31, 2009 07:28PM

You're right about the negative offset being used to center the line on the blank's zero axis. There isn't a "magic number" as far as how many degrees to offset it, because that varies with different guide sizes. When I want the line centered, the stripper is the last guide that I position. By mounting the other guides in front of the stripper, then mounting the reel and feeding the line through the un-attached stripper and all of the other guides, you simply pull the line tight, position the stripper on the zero axis, then move it to the left or right until it centers the line up over the blank's zero axis. mark it, then wrap it.

Many West Coast guys center their strippers to purposly bias the line feed to the left or right on non-level wind reels, as it allows them to level the line on the spool by simply pushing it with their thumb to one side of the spool, then lifting their thumb and letting the line return by itself to the other side of the spool. For example... On a right hand retreive reel, they'll transition the line around the blank on it's left side, then put the stripper on the zero axis. This stripper position will feed the line to the left of center on the spool. With their left hand on the foregrip, they simply use their left thumb to "push" the line being retrieved towards the right side of the spool. When the line reaches the right side of the spool, they simply lift their thumb out of the way and the line will return to the left side of the spool on it's own. Saves moving your thumb back and forth to move the line left or right.

As for the different methods that I use, you assumed right that it varies. I use simple spirals on moderate action blanks, Forhan's on most 7'+ faster action blanks and O'Quinn's on long fast/X-fast blanks. I'm looking to get the first 180 degree guide placed behind the blank's shut-off point, which has a lot to do with which method I can use on a given blank. Right now I've got a GF100J (10' 30-60 X-Fast) on the wrapper and getting an O'Quinn layout, because I've got almost 4' of blank in front of the reel before the blank shuts off, allowing me to stretch out the transition guides for a nearly perfect, straight line path. The only down side (to me anyway) is that the stripper is REALLY offset (about 40 degrees) to the transition side of the blank, which REALLY pushes the line towards one side of the spool. Casts like a rocket, but you've got to pay close attention to the line leveling on the reel.

<Sorry Tom, typing at the same time.>

Mark Griffin
[]
C&M Custom Tackle
San Dimas, California

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/31/2009 07:29PM by Mark Griffin.

Posted by: billy broderick (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: May 31, 2009 10:10PM

Mark that is some great info and very well put. I was on the right track just needed some explanation. I have now tried all the ways of wrapping and thought I new when to use what but now feel much better about explaining it too my customers. Thank you sooo much for your time to explain it too me!

Posted by: Peter Appel (70.158.139.---)
Date: June 01, 2009 10:21AM

Mark,

Please forgive a dumb question: What do you mean by the shut-off point on a blank? Is it where there is no effective curve when the blank is fully loaded?

Thanks,

Pete Appel

Date: June 01, 2009 11:28AM

Pete,

You gave a pretty accurate description...

Mark Griffin
[]
C&M Custom Tackle
San Dimas, California

Posted by: Peter Appel (70.158.139.---)
Date: June 01, 2009 11:41AM

Thanks for clarifying!

Pete

Date: June 01, 2009 12:18PM

I guess I should have added that not all blanks HAVE an effective "shut off" point to get that first 180 guide behind. Those are the blanks where I'm using Simple Spirals.

Mark Griffin
[]
C&M Custom Tackle
San Dimas, California

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster