I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

micros on top?
Posted by: Trinity Lindseth (---.redlake.k12.mn.us)
Date: May 28, 2009 02:26PM

For those of you that have built a micros on top casting rod how do you like it? Anything you would have done differently than you did? Did you use more guides than you would have to build a spiral wrap to keep the line off the blank or did that issue not concern you? A lot of questions I know, but I have a guy interested in a guides on top rod with micros, but I have not built one this way, as I prefer to build spiral wrapped casting rods. Thank you for you time and help.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: micros on top?
Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.scana.com)
Date: May 28, 2009 02:36PM

For those of you that have built a micros on top casting rod how do you like it? Yes - love it.

Anything you would have done differently than you did? Probably not once I had a good understanding of spacing.

Did you use more guides than you would have to build a spiral wrap to keep the line off the blank or did that issue not concern you? I find I use the same number of guides so the line stays with the curve of the blank.

Nothing is wrong with either way. I have them wrapped both ways depending on the application (bass fishing technique).

-----------------
AD

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: May 28, 2009 02:37PM

The use of micro guides on certain rods has many advantages. Some rods perform better if all are on top - some rods perform better is they are spiraled - rods benefit due to reduced weight of smaller guide trains when they are applicable.

This is not a simple one answer to all type of question. For more detailed information take advantage of reading some previous comments on this very subject. If you have not read the information provided on this site do a search for M&M in the topic search and enter all dates.

[rodbuilding.org]

I build rods with micro guides both ways and the results are highly successful.

Posted by: Bert Nagy (---.asm.bellsouth.net)
Date: May 28, 2009 03:16PM

Trinity,

This spring I built a 6' 6" medium heavy baitcasting rod for Texas Rig worm fishing, as kind of an experiment. The blank was an ATC closeout that I got at the ICRBE.

For the build, I used Size 3.5 Batson microguides all on top. I fished this rod at Lake Guntersville in mid April, and caught about 25 bass in 2 days with it. I had no failures or issues at all. It has turned out to be one of my favorite rods to use. Now, if my big motor had worked that weekend-- but that's another story.

For worm fishing, I think I like the guides on top, as lot of the time, I will see my line jump as opposed to felling the bite. I am building another similar worm rod and will spiral this one, just to try it out.

Regards
Bert Nagy

Posted by: Robert Russell (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: May 29, 2009 09:32AM

I build micros both ways and like them both. I do add at least 1 guide and sometimes 2 when building on top versus spiral. It's the same for me with "regular" sized guides also, though the micros usually have 1 more on top when compared with the "regular" sized guides on top.

Posted by: Chris Davis (---.knology.net)
Date: May 29, 2009 04:48PM

I also am inclined to go 1 extra micro like Robert does-if I am going to err, I want it to be in that direction. Insignificant increase in weight-an Alconite 4 weighs .05 grams

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster