I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

casting rod - number of guides & sizes
Posted by: Ben Hurlstone (---.perm.iinet.net.au)
Date: May 27, 2009 09:18PM

hello,

im doing my first casting rod atm on a loomis imx MB783 (extended 6") and wanted to know as a general rule the number of guides and how small i can go as i want to use micros but also need to pass 60lb leader to braid knots.

so with your experience how small do you think i can go while still getting good line clearance??
plan on useing fuji TiT SiCs as this will get used in the salt to

i will be attempting a spiral also but still need to read more on the subject.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: casting rod - number of guides & sizes
Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.187-72.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: May 27, 2009 11:15PM

You won't be using "micros" and passing 60# leader knots, I promise. Stick with #7 guides and you will be fine. I wouldn't try anything smaller with that size leader to ANY size braided line ... the knots are going to be huge.

BTW, why are you using 60# leader on a 3 power IMX blank?

Date: May 27, 2009 11:24PM

in oz and the target fish like structure and can get big so helps with rub offs and bite throughs and getting bricked, although the 60lb may only be a shock leader of sorts.

i run 15lb braid on the reel ive got to match this with and will mostly only use a 20lb fluro leader, but when chasing some of the 'harder' fish the shock leader needs to be strong

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.187-72.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: May 27, 2009 11:45PM

Our fish love structure, too. I haven't met too many that don't. We even have a fish VERY similar to your barramundi, the snook. They really like to inhabit mangrove shorelines. Between the trees and their gill plates, they are tough on line.

However, here's my thinking ... you will be very likely to break that rod. The average 15# braid breaks at just under 30#. With a 60# leader, or a lighter 50, 40 or even 30# leader, you will be highly overrating the blank. Paired with a 6" extension on an IMX blank, which will make the blank significantly faster than the original design ... SNAP, is the first, second and third thought that comes to mind.

IF you haven't already purchased the blank, consider moving to a lower modulus design. IF you have, consider backing off the line/leader ratings.

Hope this helps.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/27/2009 11:46PM by Jim Gamble.

Posted by: Ted Morgan (---.gatcf.jcu.edu.au)
Date: May 28, 2009 02:03AM

Ben, with that blank in mind as a barra rod, I'd go with size 7's, as the leader knot will rattle a lot through 6's or smaller. Jim's suggestion to downgrade in blank material makes sense, but for a sensitive rod, the IMX should be fine as long as it's used reasonably (not highsticked, etc.). I expect this is not a rod to extract meteries from thick timber?

Date: May 28, 2009 02:33AM

i use high quality braid that is IGFA rated so running the braid on the rod is not a problem and i dont believe the rod will break (ill get bricked before that haha) and no ted this is not intended for the stick work in the dams, more lighter barra stuff with creek jacks, bass, threadies and jew in mind.

with these fish the battle can be won or lost in the first couple of seconds and using a heavy leader helps with abrasion resistance and 60lb is more a last resort situation if im losing too many more than a regular line rating.

i know that im trying to make this as all-round as possible but this is a relection of budget more than anything

btw - i have fished a glx in the same model running 30lb braid with 80lb leaders for barra in the forrests of peter faust dam trying to get the big girls out!, and this was a guides rod so this is sorta common place to do this thing over here haha

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster