I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Halibut/Striper trolling blank?
Posted by: Henri Berit (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: May 14, 2009 03:19AM

Hey guys,
I am looking for a couple trolling rods to fish for halibut and striped bass. I will be using them mostly for trolling. Will be pulling yozuris and rebels etc, as well as some bounce balling live bait for halibut as well. I am usually pretty partial to Calstar blanks, and based on my experience, which is limited, I would probably choose something like a 270-7 maybe? I have also seen the gfx 700l and m and gfx800, they have a more moderate bend in them and might be better for trolling, according to a rep. Any info on this? Anything else that I should look at? Maybe Batson?
Thanks a lot guys, really appreciate the info.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2009 05:36AM by Henri Berit.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Halibut/Striper trolling blank?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 14, 2009 08:30AM

I like the Seeker CLB series, the 702 and 704 work well on stripers. I free-line live bait and use them for trolling plugs as well. They make them up through 706 and 708, so the power choice is up to you.

These are very fast action, soft-tipped blanks, so you'll have to decide if that sot of thing will work for what you want to do.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: May 14, 2009 09:12AM

Tacking onto what TOm posted about teh CLB's having a very fast action and soft tip - Seeker is making "East Coast" style blanks to suit our needs over here, and they've made a blank which has a much more moderate action than the 708 which is not in their catalouge. TEHy made it for GRumpy's Tackle in NJ as a light Tarpon rod, I've got them in stock, they are a fit between a 708 & 709 powerwise but as I said with a moderate action.

I am not familiar with trolling at all, but I do know it varies from region to region greatly, so you should probably find someone local who does the same type of fishing as you do and see what they use and the characteristics of teh blanks before you decide on what to get.

Posted by: Mark Griffin (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: May 14, 2009 12:05PM

I'm trying to guess where you might be to troll both Halibut & Striper? No. Cal. maybe??

Speaking to the "bounceball" part of your question, the blanks that you had mentioned look a little light for the application unless you're fishing shallow water with little current. The weapons of choice in So. Cal for bounce balling Butt's are more along the lines of BT & BTG670's & 870's and GF & GFX700M's & ML's from Calstar. Batson's RCLB700ML's & M's work well too. A lot of guys seem to prefer the softer tips of the glass rods for this application.

Another board member here named Jan Zeiters is from No. Cal. and I believe fishes Stripers and I know he's big into Halibut. We just sent him a combination of Seeker 270's and Batson RCLB70ML's & 84H's. He may just chime in here...

The guy who literally wrote the book on bounce balling Butt's is Rick Ferguson, who has tried, broken, and thrown away more rods than anyone that I'm aware of for that application. He's become a big fan of spiral wrapped rods for the application as well. He can be contacted through his site [www.BestOfBigGame.com]. VERY friendly guy who's more than willing to share his knowledge of rods & rigging. You might drop him a note from his contact page.

Mark Griffin
[]
C&M Custom Tackle
San Dimas, California

Posted by: Robert Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: May 14, 2009 01:36PM

For Halibut , Maybe someone from N.WA. say around Squim or our friends accross the water in Vancover BC well chime in. Big Barn Doors Up here Sorry no Strippers up this far N.

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Ted Culin (---.ptldor.fios.verizon.net)
Date: May 14, 2009 03:08PM

For halibut around Central Oregon, my go to is a Seeker CJBF60HB. Plenty of power for lifting 3-5# sinkers 6-900 feet down and plenty or light tip to feel the bite. I have a Forecast TS66mh that Karry recommended, the tip isn't as sensitive as the Seeker in 6' or 6 1/2. As you can see our fishery is not real supportive of using a rod like a calstar 270-7 - way to moderate of an action IMO.

Here is the tiger wrap from a CJBF60H waiting for pickup

[www.rodbuilding.org]

For a lighter jig rod I'd look at the Rainshadow RCLB70L, it has a much faster action than a calstar 270

have fun whatever you do

Thank you whoever you are

WWW.WeSeekHerRods.com

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2009 03:13PM by Ted Culin.

Date: May 14, 2009 03:18PM

Cool Tigar wrap ecellant JOB.

Good Wraps Bob

Date: May 14, 2009 07:42PM

Thanks for the replies guys. The fishing will take place in the SF bay. Trolling will be done mostly with 10-16oz of weight pulling live bait or hoochies/dodgers. 270-7 may be kinda light. Maybe the 870? Or even 670? Line will be most likely 20-40lb braid. I am looking at the RCLB70L and ML, they look nice. How are their actions compared to the 270,670 etc? I wish I would of spent more time handling blanks at the show, specifically these ones. Thanks again Mark for the power wrapper.

Date: May 15, 2009 04:36AM

Okay, I think I have decided on the RCLB70ML. Can this rod handle dragging 10-16oz or is the M a better choice? Thanks again, I really appreciate it.

Posted by: Ted Culin (---.ptldor.fios.verizon.net)
Date: May 15, 2009 11:20AM

I had an L and compared it to my 270 and the action is much faster and stiffer. 670 is nice but I like the 665 better as a trolling rod for Albacore. I don't like 665 as a jig rod at all, and a buddy agrees with me on the 670 not being very good for jigging (please remember were talking about halibut fishing here in Oregon - totally different than trolling for strippers in SF). I'm thinking the L would be a good choice. I have used the 270 for trolling for Coho, not sure how much weight we used.

Another blank that you might look at is the Rainshadow SWS597 - at least in terms of trolling. That blank does so many jobs well I've started calling it my all purpose rod. Friends have tied them as spinners for swim baits for Albacore. I use them for keeper Sturgeon, Fall Chinook pulling divers and cut plug herring at B10 on the Columbia, Ocean trolling for Chinook and Coho, near shore bottom fish, on and on and on. Great tip, fast action with anchor pulling backbone. I have a pair of them spiral wrapped and loaded with Avet MXJ's

I grew up in the bay area, but never fished the ocean or the bay. Family wasn't real outdoorsie when I was younger.

Bob, glad you liked that Tiger - that one turned out nice.

Thank you whoever you are

WWW.WeSeekHerRods.com

Date: May 15, 2009 11:31AM

Ted Lived in ElCerrito from 64 to 77 an bowled at albany Bowl. I used to fish out of the Gate in a area called the Patato Pach just N of SF. Now I live in W. WA. and fish the Blue Pacific and local rivers. I live less than 40 min. from the Ocean. I have been building rod for 1/2 my life, I am 67. My biggest reputation on this site is I am the worst speller here LOL

Good Wraps Bob

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster