I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Kayak Fishing for Striped Bass
Posted by: Steven Libby (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: May 07, 2009 07:32PM

Hello. My experience is freshwater bass fishing from a kayak or the shoreline, and only limited saltwater fishing for blues and tuna. So I'm hoping for some help/suggestions. I want to venture out Kayak fishing for Striped bass. I woud like to stick to what I'm used to: cast and retrieve, plastics (I'm told swimbaits or sluggo's would work well), and a low profile baitcasting reel. I was thinking maybe something like the offshore angler ocean master. For the rod, i'm thinking of making my own from a heavy, fast, 7' to 7'6" blank, rated for 20-40 lb line. Am I on the right track? Can you offer suggestions for a blank? I'm having a terrible time finding one.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/2009 08:03PM by Steven Libby.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Kayak Fishing for Striped Bass
Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (68.44.9.---)
Date: May 07, 2009 09:43PM

Go to Swampland and check out the BIG SHOW Blank, Looks like a Real good Salt water swim bait blank

Posted by: Bobby Bolivia (---.nwrknj.east.verizon.net)
Date: May 08, 2009 07:52AM

20lb - 40lb class rod seems heavy from a kayak, if you get a fish big enough to test the meddle of the rod its going to pull you and the kayak anyway defeating the purpose hahaha.

you have to cast that from a odd position most likley with two hands if the rod is going to be that heavy. Remember the butt may hit the kayak or lap so adjust the rear grip length acordingly. Get yourself one of those self air powered can horns to blast at the motor boats from running ya down, heh.

If you can check out the st. croix swim bait factory rods in a store, that thing is feather light, you prolly could cast it with one hand and low profile rod.

LTBC79HF and the LTBC80XHF both available in blanks also.

Posted by: Tom Locke (---.dia.static.qwest.net)
Date: May 08, 2009 01:56PM

20-40 is too heavy. I was using a 12-25 7' rod for my 45.5" cow. You get towed around way more than you can put a bend in the rod. St. Croix or Lamiglass is what I used. The short butt is a good thing to have as well. Lamiglass has a kayak series of rods. Check them out.

Posted by: Steven Libby (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: May 08, 2009 03:07PM

Thanks for the great replies. I figured on the shorter butt; but even though we get towed around in the Kayak, I didnt figure on the lower power. Maybe I'm landing 'em wrong. At full arms stretch I still get a really decent bend when trying to get the fish to the side or into the Kayak, and this is where I thought I would need a heavy power rod (along with a net, and agility to preclude a tip over, and coordination to preclude dropping the paddle or anything else that might be in my lap at the time). I think I gotta watch other folks kayak fishing to see how they are landing 'em and see. Anyway, thanks again! This has really helped.

Posted by: Dennis Dixon (---.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: May 08, 2009 03:46PM

I have done a lot of kayak fishing in my time, most of it for stripers. Personally, I would go with a lighter rod. Something 7'6" - 8', rated around 20#. Most of my striper fishing is with Storm Shads (or other swimbaits) in the 5-6" size, bombers, 9" sloggos, bucktails, and diamond jigs. Some trhow hand turned wood plugs, but at $20 a piece I don't think it is worth it. You want a rod that will handle lures from 1-3oz, or maybe a little lighter is you are not going to be using the big wooden plugs. As you said above, a short butt is always helpful.

I recently got a Lamiglas Inshore Classic Graphite blank (8', 12-25#) that I think would make an ideal kayak rod for stripers. They also have a 7'6" one if you wanted something a little shorter. I no longer live in the north east, so mine is going to be made with big snook in mind, but the idea is the same. 20# power pro is what I will be using. Anything heavier on a kayak and you are just asking to get dumped in the water. Besides, I have never met a striper I couldn't land on 20# line.

Posted by: Donald Becker (---.lava.net)
Date: May 08, 2009 09:50PM

While not striper fishermen, the AquaHunters should be able to address your questions.
I believe they favor a 7' spinning rod.

[www.aquahunters.com]

You will need to register prior to entering their forum.

They are supposed to be hosting a TV series starting the later part of May. It will be centered around kayak fishing.

Don

Don Becker

Posted by: Tony Scott (---.remote.laureate-inc.com)
Date: May 11, 2009 11:53PM

Steven -

Whatever make, action, or lure weight rating you choose, I have found a shorter rod is always nice to fish out of a kayak. I fish out of a kayak in Florida for giant Redfish and use 6' and 6.5' rods. I think they are easier to lay on the deck.

Tony

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster