I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Shipping
Posted by: brad baker (---.mcloudteleco.com)
Date: May 04, 2009 11:03PM

What is the best way to ship a completely built rod? Obviously, PVC pipe is the way to go, but it is extremely heavy (3in dia x 9ft). I was wondering if you guys have any better methods that would be cheaper (weight wise) than PVC yet still provide solid protection? Once you get in to larger PVC the walls become thicker and thicker making it overall heaverier and heavier. Thus more expensive. Is there any kind of cardboard or thinner plastic I could use? Thanks in advance,
Brad

Re: Shipping
Posted by: Dominic_Donchig (---.lsan.mdsg-pacwest.com)
Date: May 04, 2009 11:08PM

You could try a heavy duty cardboard tube. Thats what cabelas shipped my crappie rod in. Definitely lighter than PVC.

Posted by: Mike Thompson (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: May 04, 2009 11:17PM

I wouldnt chance a cardboard tube if I thought much of the rod I was sending. Maybe if your sending a warranty rod back you could be ok, after all its broken already. I would advise getting a pvc drainage pipe from your local home builders supply. I get mine from Lowes and the cost is only around 8 bucks for a 10' section. Also mark in several locations not conveyorable. Could help, couldnt hurt. And of coarse insure properly.

Good Luck!

Mike Thompson
Thompson's Custom Rods

It is impossible to make anything foolproof, because fools are so ingenious!

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: May 04, 2009 11:21PM

PVC Sewer Pipe, half the weight, $8 for 10ft.

DR

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (24.145.81.---)
Date: May 04, 2009 11:53PM

where are you guys? I only pay $5 for a 2" x 10' schedule 40 conduit from Home Depot or Lowes.

-----------------
AD

Posted by: jack richardson (---.virtdom.com)
Date: May 05, 2009 12:30AM

Several years ago, I received from New York to here (MD.) a 2pc. "Harnell"
surf rod. It was packed in a card board box in triangle shape. The first I have seen
of these. They are sold by USPS. The rod was in good shape. I saw no visable
damage to the box. I believe the web site of USPS probably shows them.
Might be worth checking out.

jocko

Posted by: jack richardson (---.virtdom.com)
Date: May 05, 2009 12:47AM

About my last post on USPS "tubes". I checked the web site. I "goofed". . . . .

There is "no charge" for "tubes. 3" I.D. Min. order is 10.
(page 5 under "supplies")

jocko

Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.hsd1.la.comcast.net)
Date: May 05, 2009 01:17AM

You're not going to save very much on weight. Besides actual shipping charges you will be charged an oversized package charge and then if it's going to go to a residentual area you will be charged for that also. You'll also be paying a lot higher if that tube is over 8' long. If shipping by UPS you will be paying in the range of 23.00 to 30.00 plus the cost of the pvc tube. Don't go any lighter than schedule 40 pipe. The weight will be about six pounds but you'll be paying for a thirty pound package. You'll also have to use a tube at least three inches in diameter for the trigger on a casting rod to fit or for the stripper on a spinning rod. Electrical conduit pipe from Lowe's is less expensive than pvc plumbing pipe by a couple of dollars.

About those triangle tubes you get from the postal service... they are only about 4 feet long.

Lance

Posted by: Matt Davis (---.prtel.com)
Date: May 05, 2009 07:15AM

Was waiting for someone to bring it up and Lance finally did...

Weight plays almost no bearing on the shipping cost when it comes to rod tubes. Its the length that kills you.

I've shipped the same sized tube and used weights from 7 pounds to 12 pounds (because I wasn't actually weighing the tube) and the cost never varied more than a buck or two.

PVC is the only way I'll ship. To not spend the few extra dollars for PVC on a $300+ rod just doesn't make sense to me. Not only does the customer deserve it, but quite frankly I don't need the hassle of a claim and I hate having to rebuild a rod.

Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 05, 2009 08:11AM

ABS pipe is as thick as PVC and quite rigid but not nearly as heavy. As some have said, weight doesn't make much difference in the cost, but if you're wanting to cut weight anyway, ABS or foam core (non-pressure rated) PVC is the way to go.

Posted by: Scott Sheets (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: May 05, 2009 08:20AM

Only problem with ABS is availability. Some state's don't allow it use in construction (Illinois for one) so good luck finding it. IF you have a business you can setup an account with FedEx ( I am sure you can with UPS also) and get shipping at a discounted rate, it costs me around 17-20 to ship a 7' pvc pipe anywhere.

Scott Sheets
www.smsrods.com

Posted by: Jan Zeiters (---.dsl.dynamic.humboldt1.com)
Date: May 05, 2009 08:29AM

Go to a carpet place and ask for some of the heavy cardboard tubes that the carpet is shipped on, I usually accompany the "Cumshaw" request with a six pack. Works wonders/

Take a wood saw with you too.

Posted by: brad baker (---.tinker.af.mil)
Date: May 05, 2009 08:33AM

All great options. Where could I find ABS pipe? Is it something that you could find at Lowes/Home Depot?

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.187-72.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: May 05, 2009 10:53AM

Yes, the ABS PVC is sold at most Lowe's and Home Depot stores. It is known as "sewer and drainage pipe" in most areas. The walls are rated to over 2,000# of crush and I haven't had any issue over the years. Buy the end caps at the same time, make sure they are for that type of pipe and not Schedule 40 PVC. On the ABS pipe, there is almost always a "bell end" on one end ... but you are going to cut it down a bit anyway. Make sure to cut the bell end and not the other, since you will be using the caps. Give your rod some protection with bubble wrap in 4-5 spots AND pack the ends with the same to keep the rod from shifting.

As recommended previously, put labels that say "DO NOT CONVEYOR" all over the thing. Insure it and you will be fine. I use FedEx Ground for my deliveries and have been happy with the handling and the pricing.

Posted by: brad baker (---.tinker.af.mil)
Date: May 05, 2009 02:03PM

Thanks for all the replies. All are a huge help on this site.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster