I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Donation Assistance- Direction?
Posted by: Brian Morrow (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: April 28, 2009 03:02PM

I, along with the other two builders have become involved with a local situation where one of the local fishermen was murdered. He left behind three young boys; all of which had been exposed to fishing by their father. To make matters worse their mother is not in the picture. I do not know if she is deceased or just a vacant parent, but she is not around.

I, along with the other two local builders are currently building an XST 1562-3 float rod, in a combined effort, which will be raffled off to raise money for the family. The father was under-employed and did not have insurance to cover the burial costs. Along with our involvement a local company that produces Center Pin reels is also getting involved, and possibly donating a $525 reel; that will go along with the scheme of the rod. We hope that our efforts make a difference, and raise money toward a proper burial, and assistance in raising the children.

At this time we have everything we need for the XST float rod build thanks in great part to several donations by some outstanding companies.
At this time we are trying to obtain three (3) inexpensive rod blanks to build for the three children. The boys range in ages from 8 to 12 so something in the 6 to 6' 6" range would be just about perfect.

I have contacted a few major blank manufacters seeking the blanks, and was politely turned away.
My request for the three rod blanks is solely for the purpose of the three boys. The money that we raise may assist them financially for a short period of time, but it won’t leave a lasting memory. We would like the three rods to be given to the boys in remembrance of their father; who had them all involved in fishing. Each builder will build upon one of these three blanks, and the rods will be giving to the children, anonymously. The builders that are involved are doing this strictly from the goodness our hearts. We are not looking to be recognized for our work or contributions. All of our names (company and personal) will remain completely anonymous.

I feel somewhat gratified that I am able to help with the construction of the 13’ float rod and the funds it will raise, but I would sincerely love to put a rod in each of those boys’ hands so they have something materialistic to hold on to. The funds we raise will be forgotten about, but the rods will serve as a lasting reminder. Unfortunately my financial situation won't permit me to go at it alone.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to who I may contact about donating three inexpensive blanks for this cause?

Best regards,
Brian

*contact information is available for all parties involved, but I would rather not post it publicly without getting their permission*

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/28/2009 03:06PM by Brian Morrow.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Donation Assistance- Direction?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 28, 2009 05:05PM

Here's your problem - for every sincere person like yourself that is just trying to help, there are 2 or 3 more that use such charity donation requests as part of a scam. Recently, a supposed school teacher even took some "students" to visit a well known blank manufacturer and was able to procure a good number of blanks, free of charge, to use for his new "student rod building program." A month later the rod blanks turned up on a well known @#$%& site. That particular manufacturer cut off any further donations, to anyone, immediately. I could give you a dozen more similar situations and these type scams are the reason more and more companies are simply adopting a policy whereby they do not donate anything to anybody.

The worst thing, is that each and everyone of them sound honest and sincere. The causes are always heart wrenching. But many, even most perhaps, have turned out to be scams that allow the builder/s to gain free rod building parts that they either use, sell or otherwise profit from. Obviously, this hurts those who are honest and just trying to do a good deed.

Here's the bottom line - if you need 3 inexpensive rod blanks for a cause you really believe in, don't put the burden on the blank manufacturers or dealers to provide them. Buy them yourself. If you need to put the money from the blank purchase back in your pocket, use some of the receipts from the raffle to do so. This is the proactive way to get the job done. Many of these manufacturers and dealers are tapped out and/or tired of being scammed. They can't afford to help out any longer and many are tired of being burnt when they do.

Many good deeds are done by rod builders. Many worthty causes are fulfilled by persons that are truly sincere and dedicated. But you don't hear of these because the folks involved just dig in their heels and get down to work. They don't request donations nor any type of help. They take the bull by the horns and get the job done. I think if you're going to do what you want here, you're going to have to do the same.

Date: April 28, 2009 05:22PM

I understand exactly where you're coming from Tom, and I couldn't agree more.
I have thought about taking the money out of the money raised from the float rod, but it gave me a "funny" feeling. Almost as if I was stealing from Peter to pay Paul.
I think my best option is to wait a couple of week and take the money out of my income tax return.

Thanks for the insight!
Brian

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 28, 2009 05:48PM

As long as you don't profit (monetarily) from it, there is no reason to feel bad about using a portion of the proceeds to pay for the parts. And, such a thing would be legal in most states.

Posted by: Robert Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: April 28, 2009 06:34PM

Brian: What Tom has mentioned is quite right. The organization I belong to was approached by a teacher for funding. We obliged the teacher and gave him about 500 dollars to help with the project. What we found out later. He bought his supplies threw a friend who owns a Custom rod shop. The teacher was informed where he could have purchased his materials from a well known supplier at below cost. I even volunteered my services free I also told him I would allow a few students at a time to use my shop. He never had the courtesy of returning my calls or emails. The organization never got so much as a thank you. Brian email me I may have a couple of contacts for you. You must beagle to provide these guys with proven documentation about your project. Also have you contacted other organization about your project? Like the VFW, Lions, Eagles Masons just to name a few. These types or organizations work hand in hand to help a community project.

Good Wraps Bob

Date: April 28, 2009 07:17PM

Tom: I know it's completely legal, I just feel it's wrong to take money out of the fund. I feel as if I'm taking something away from the family instead of giving something to them. Make sense?

Robert: It is absolutely horrible that there are people in this world that would do things like that, and take advantage of people and their emotions. I have not contacted any organiztions such as those that you mentioned. Up to this point I have focused my search throughout the blank/rod building industry.

Thank you,
Brian

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster