I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Xylene - applications and health issues
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 24, 2009 11:58AM

I often use Xylene - in a well vented area due to its excellent cleaning properties and the ability to work well with epoxy as a remover.
The following is a write up on the applications and health issues with respect to Xylene.

Take care
Roger

Applications
Xylene is used as a solvent and in the printing, rubber, and leather industries. p-Xylene is used as a feedstock in the production of terephthalic acid, which is a monomer used in the production of polymers. It is also used as a cleaning agent for steel and for silicon wafers and chips, a pesticide [1], a thinner for paint, and in paints and varnishes. It may be substituted for toluene to thin lacquers where slower drying is desired. It is found in small amounts in airplane fuel and gasoline. In animal studies it is often swabbed on the ears of rabbits to facilitate blood flow and collection, although the area must subsequently be cleansed with alcohol to prevent inflammation.

Related compounds
Xylenes are a starting material for the production of other chemicals. For instance chlorination of both methyl groups gives three isomeric xylene dichlorides or 1,2-bis(chloromethyl)benzenes. With oxidizing agents, such as potassium permanganate (KMnO4), the methyl group can be oxidized to a carboxylic acid. By oxidizing both methyl groups, o-xylene forms phthalic acid and p-xylene forms terephthalic acid.

In articles of commerce, the term xylol refers to the solvent mixture of three xylene isomers, sometimes containing ethylbenzene. In the chemical trade, this mixture is referred to as xylenes (plural). This substance must not be confused with the toxic and corrosive xyleneol compounds, which are dimethyl phenol isomers.

Health effects
Xylene exhibits neurological effects. High levels from exposure for acute (14 days or less) or chronic periods (more than 1 year) can cause headaches, lack of muscle coordination, dizziness, confusion, and changes in one's sense of balance[citation needed] . Exposure of people to high levels of xylene for short periods can also cause irritation of the skin, eyes, nose, and throat, difficulty in breathing and other problems with the lungs, delayed reaction time, memory difficulties, stomach discomfort, and possibly adverse effects on the liver and kidneys. It can cause unconsciousness and even death at very high levels (see inhalants). Xylene or products containing Xylene should not be used indoors or around food.

Studies of unborn animals indicate that high concentrations of xylene may cause increased numbers of deaths, and delayed growth and development.[citation needed] In many instances, these same concentrations also cause damage to the mothers. It is not yet known whether xylene harms the unborn fetus if the mother is exposed to low levels of xylene during pregnancy.

Besides occupational exposure, the principal pathway of human contact is via soil contamination from leaking underground storage tanks containing petroleum products. Humans who come into contact with the soil or groundwater may become affected. Use of contaminated groundwater as a water supply could lead to adverse health effects.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Xylene - applications and health issues
Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 24, 2009 01:56PM

Isopropyl alcohol & a paper towel doesn't work good enough? Dentaured alcohol?

Posted by: William (Bill) Jones (---.c002.t7.mrt.starband.net)
Date: April 24, 2009 05:32PM

There are permissible exposure limits (PEL) for almost all volatile organic compounds and many other things that can be hazardous to health. These PEL's are available on the OSHA website. Any of you who have employees should be in compliance. Individuals .... well ... that is a different deal. OSHA isn't really that interested in individuals, just the employees. You can also ask for a MSDS from the place you bought the solvent. That will tell you the hazards for the material.
Bill

Date: April 24, 2009 05:33PM

Billy,
Alcohol works fine for many things.

However, when a super cleaner as well as one to help dissolve partially cured epoxy, you will find that Xylene is a much better solvent.
Take care
Roger

Posted by: Robert Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: April 24, 2009 11:36PM

I only use that stuff ,MEK and Acetone out side or with all the windows open and a fan going. The fuems well hid in a small area and build up. The licquid may evaporate but the fuems linger a lot longer. Also if there is a spark or any flame close by. By, By to you and what ever is around. I also foregot to mention any type of long term exposure well make you a brain dead Zombie

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: April 25, 2009 07:43AM

Same precautions should be taken with PermaGloss.

All these solvents or products with hot solvents should be used with extreme caution - if at all. It's not worth the health risks.
Herb

Date: April 25, 2009 09:30AM

Herb,
Good advice on the note about Perma Gloss.
In past years, I was heavily involved with model building. For much of the finish work I used a 2 part epoxy paint for the ultimate finish.

However, after several years of using this paint for the model work, in both excellent and less than excellent ventilation conditions, I became sensitized to the hardner in the paint. I had no issue with the paint itself, but I did have a very sever reaction to the hardner.

It got to the point where I would end up in bed ill for a week if I ever painted indoors, even with excellent ventilation. If I painted out of doors, I could then use the paint, with no side effects. So, I moved to other finishing techniques so that I would not have to use the paint and hardner. Just another way of the body saying - ENOUGH already.

I also had quite a few of my friends who became sensitized to the use of epoxy glues.

Remember, compounds can be ingested through the skin. So, it is often a good idea to use rubber or latex gloves when doing finishing work and or cleaning. Otherwise, the compounds can get into the system vis the skin of hands and arms.

Be safe

Roger

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 25, 2009 01:05PM

YOu're frying your brain making model airplanes and being sloppy when you clean epoxy. I dunno, it's really easy to remove all teh epoxy off teh blank without any risks whatsoever.

Posted by: Robert Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: April 25, 2009 05:02PM

A little water a few drops of licuid soap and a little denatured alcohal well remove any excess epoxy

Good Wraps Bob

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster