I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Trip to the Promised Land
Posted by: James Willard (74.191.76.---)
Date: April 23, 2009 07:17AM

I just happened to find myself in Orlando visiting family and I darn near had to sell a kidney to visit Mudhole. Those of you who know me know I am still pretty new to rod building and so I have never been at a store that sells rod building components, I have had ot imagine what everything will be like from a catalog or website. I took an epic trip that riveled Harold and Kumar go to White Castle. Anyways, long story slightly less long, I got to Mudhole and got so flustered while I was there that I was like a chiken with my head cut off. I could not remember what I wanted to see, hold or what I needed to buy. I just wondered the store in awe.
Unfortunately I am terrible with names, but I spoke with two gentlemen while I was there who were kind enough to help me and give me some much needed face to face rod wrapping talk and tips. These two guys were of great help and they were very patient with my never ending stream of noob questions that most of you have come to know. If I had not enlisted a total stranger to drive me there, (told you I did what I had to to get there) I would have spent all day in there talking and holding components and such. It was a pleasure visiting the showroom and speaking with the gentlemen who were working there. If you ever get the chance be sure to visit the show room of Mudhole in Orlando Florida, a long way from Colorado Springs Colorado.
James

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Trip to the Promised Land
Posted by: Whit Engle (---.prenova.com)
Date: April 23, 2009 08:33AM

James:

I've been doing business with Mudhole for years, from the days they operated out of little more than a storage area. Let me assure you these friendly and knowledgeable folks have always offered the utmost in hospitality and courtesy. This is not to mention the incredible variety of the merchandise, which beats any other place that I have ever visited, which I try to do wherever I go on travel I try and stop by Mudhole everytime I am in the Orlando area!

Whit

Posted by: John Chamorro (---.178.44.129.PAT-CA.netvelocite.net)
Date: April 23, 2009 10:42AM

I bought all my "stuff" from Mud Hole when I first started out. I had every question in the book. Todd was unbelievably helpful and did everything possible to make sure I got all the right "stuff" at the best deal possible. He even put together 3 "kits" of inexpensive spinning rods so I could use them for practicing and wouldn't be out much $$ if I screwed them up! Everybody down there has been very helpful.

John

Posted by: Larry Rogers (---.ryancompanies.com)
Date: April 23, 2009 12:46PM

I too was able to stop in this Winter while on a business trip away from Minnesota. True "southern" hospitality. Great tips on finish application that I have used and shared with others.

Posted by: Donald Newenhouse (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: April 23, 2009 08:11PM

Hi James: You think that trip to Mud Hole was frustrating,to be honest with you that was mild.
The next time you plan a trip to Florida make sure you plan it in October.That is when they have there annual open house. They open the whole place to brows through.They have free BBQ,free rodbuilding seminars,they raffle off prizes,plus have activities for the kids.If you want to really go bomkers make that trip. I was so blowned away from it all that my wife said that I talked to myself all the way back home,thats a three hour trip.It was awesome.It does take awhile to recover however.
<<<<DON>>>>

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 24, 2009 07:11PM

You think that trip to MudHole was AWESOME????? Make your plans now to attend the 2010 ICRBE in High Point NC in February!!!! If you think you were like a kid in a candy store at MudHole..............multiply that x 100!!!! You not only have several vendors with product to sell, you have the folks there who make it to ask questions and shake blanks to your hearts content. Plus.......the seminars are included with admission, which is rediculously low!! The Seminars and presenters are ALWAYS relevant and beyond informative. To boot, if you are a Rod Maker subscriber, Tom always puts on an awesome reception with door prizes galore.......not kidding here either!!! Be there or be square!! JMHO Oh, I almost forgot ( I know, how could I ) the comeraderie and folks you meet are AWESOME too. Most of the best seminars are held in the lounge of the Hotel High Point after hours over an ice cold beverage!! BTW MudHole is AWESOME order from them at least once a month.

Bill in WV

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/2009 07:12PM by William Bartlett.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster