I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Guys buying whole sale blanks and parts. Where do you buy from?
Posted by: Mark Griffin (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: April 24, 2009 04:45AM

I sat the other morning mentally typing a reply to this, checked the thread one last time before posting and someone had just added "Just get back to the original question", so I went on with my day. I've been thinking about it ever since, almost to the point of starting a NEW thread about what's wrong with distribution in this industry. It didn't take long to see that much of THAT has been covered today as well. lol

I/we do things the old fashioned way when it comes to wholesale which is not AT ALL the popular stance these days. We require documentation that we're dealing with a licensed professional from THIS industry. Pretty simple, but I bet the Girls explain WHY ten times a week to someone with a business license who wants to buy wholesale. Most just keep trying to make their case with "well your competitor sells to me wholesale..." That doesn't make a very strong case when the fact of the matter is that most of our wholesale customers buy from us BECAUSE the other guys have sold to their customers at the same cost, just because they possessed some sort of license for something/anything.

A dealer giving a wholesale discount is working on a whole lot less margin than a manufacturer selling at that same price point. There isn't gobs of profit in this stuff like many people think. In fact, the minute we need to do much besides receive, process and ship a wholesale order, the cost of sale increases to the point of a loss. Billy and I have talked about this over and over, where a wholesale customer that needs special attention in handling, sizing, etc... almost automatically puts you in the red because you had to take an extra few minutes to correct something, special order something, etc... We do it though. I should say, we do it BUT, there comes a point where you have to sit back and look at certain wholesale accounts that always (and only) need some little part rushed out because XYZ & Co. back ordered it. We don't hold wholesale accounts to an annual dollar volume, but the situation that i just described happens enough that we're going to have to start soon. One of our "regulars" that forgot a winding check or some other ten cent part that's holding a job up? It's outta here, no big deal.

Don't get me wrong. Our volume wholesale customers are a breeze most of the time and when they DO require some special attention, we're glad to give it. Loyalty deserves and gets loyalty in return. Spread your business all over the Country and hammer every dime out of every dealer that you come in contact with, and I can pretty much guarantee that you'll experience a lower service level than you'd like. I grew up in a manufacturing family and have spent the better part of my life trying to disprove my Dad's saying of "Price, Quality, or Service. Pick any two". At a retail level, I can tear his theory up all day long. Wholesale? ? think he had something there. A dealer working on wholesale margins and staying in business at the same time is practically forced to adopt the "pick any two" mentality.

I guess my rambling post did in some way address the original question. Sorry. LoL

Mark Griffin
[]
C&M Custom Tackle
San Dimas, California

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guys buying whole sale blanks and parts. Where do you buy from?
Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: April 24, 2009 08:12PM

Mark. were you able to talk today after biting your tongue for that long?? Great point.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Options: ReplyQuote
Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster