I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Newbie...
Posted by: Wade Briner (---.dia.static.qwest.net)
Date: April 20, 2009 03:27PM

Is there an area for newbies to pick up tips, pointers, and adivce?

Thank You!

Wade

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Newbie...
Posted by: Walt Natzke (12.22.21.---)
Date: April 20, 2009 03:40PM

Wade,

Welcome to the forum. We are all newbies in one area or another...
Your best bet is to use the search tool to look for information. There is so much available here that most of your questions have already been answered, you just need to find the posts that match.
You may want to try searching on "newbie", as that is the precedent to a lot of good question and answer sessions.

Walt

Posted by: allen forsdyke (---.colc.cable.ntl.com)
Date: April 20, 2009 03:53PM

never be afraid to ask if your still not sure ask again
We all had to start somewhere

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (65.197.242.---)
Date: April 20, 2009 03:55PM

Wade,
Have you read all the Library articles at the top right of the page?

Date: April 20, 2009 03:56PM

I have one heck of a mentor, but this sight comes highly recommended, so thank you all. I look forward to learning from you all!

Wade

Date: April 20, 2009 04:32PM

I just took a gander through...good stuff!

Thank you!

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 20, 2009 05:32PM

You are already here. Try the FAQs page, Rod Building Glossary page and the online library here. That should keep you busy for some time.

Every now and again, take a break and look over the photo page. All the links to the various pages are right there in those black buttons just above this forum.

Posted by: Stu Walden (---.dsl.lgvwtx.swbell.net)
Date: April 21, 2009 04:33AM

buy tom kirkman's book to start with.. it is simple, and basic and it will help start a foundation for your future in our addiction. Hey Tom, when is your next book coming out? I would love to see a new book 200+ pgs , with you, and other people making waves in this art form. Let's get the younger generation started in the fun. I'm young and i hope to wrap many rods in the next 50 years and i would love to see a rodbuilders "Bible" to help me improve my skills and pass this art form to my children. I love to fish, but my smile is bigger when i catch a fish on pretty rod i built myself.

Date: April 21, 2009 02:35PM

I have the book and the first stick is in production! I also have a broker blank I am practicing wrapping on. My biggest problem so far is the first cross over wrap so the thread doesn't slip, unravel, ect. Any pointers? I think I'm a bit slow.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 21, 2009 05:47PM

Check the book carefully in the chapter on wrapping guides - it shows how you must make the crossover "X" and then take the tag end around the blank a couple of times, then and only then, start rotating the blank.

If you don't do that, the overlapping "X" will just continue to slip.

Date: April 21, 2009 05:58PM

I have the book and have looked at it 100 times...I think I need to see somebody do it. I'll have my guy help me with this step.

BTW, the book is solid. Really helpful.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster