I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Reverse Cutters WORK!
Posted by: Peter Sprague (---.)
Date: April 15, 2009 12:54PM

This weekend I had need of boring several pre-formed cork grips to pretty large diameters. Starting with a 1/4\" hole and needing to go to at least 5/8\" I thought there was no way I could ever ream or rasp them and keep the hole centered. Then I remembered the article in a past Rodmakers mag about making the \"reverse pilot bit cork cutters\". I went to the local HD and picked up a 5/8\" spade bit and did the shaping as shown in the article. Making three tape bushings to guide the bit in the 1/4\" hole I put the drill in place and gave \'er a spin as I withdrew the new reverse bit up into the cork. Man it buzzed through like I was cutting butter!!! And best of all it kept the hole centered and smooth.

Thanks to Roger Seides for writing the article and Rodmakers for printing it. I\'m going back for more spade bits and making up a host of sizes tonite. If you ever need to bore or ream cork grips to larger sizes do yourself a favor and make up a set of these. You will NOT be disappointed!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Reverse Cutters WORK!
Posted by: John Zarski (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: April 15, 2009 08:22PM

What Volume and issue is that in? I am slowly building my back issues. Hey Tom, is there a way I can order the back issues in Volume sets or something to that nature.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 15, 2009 09:16PM

Pete,
I assume that you did as the article suggested and that is to pull the drill back in from Each End of the grip while boring?
i.e. you did NOT pull the bit all of the way through the grip while boring did you. This is a mistake that some folks make. Because the drill is boring so nicely, they think that they can pull the bit all of the way through the grip with no issue.

Maybe

However, it is more likely that if you do pull it all of the way through the grip, you will gear out the grip cork on the side from which the bit emerges. That is why the article suggests that you only pull the bit 1/2 way through the grip, and then reverse the bit to bore from the opposite end of the grip.

Good luck and I am glad that It worked out well for you.
Roger

Posted by: Peter Sprague (---.)
Date: April 15, 2009 09:24PM

I followed the instructions. Why wouldn\'t I?

Always a good idea to listen to those who develop a product and use it in the way they intended!

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 15, 2009 09:31PM

Peter,
You bet.
Roger

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.122.31.71.static.ip.windstream.net)
Date: April 16, 2009 09:06AM

They are great tools.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster