I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Can you sand permagloss and recoat?
Posted by: Daniel Willette (---.sd.sd.cox.net)
Date: April 01, 2009 11:46PM

I'm working on my second rod and enjoying rod building very much, although I have a lot of questions. I tried the search feature first to no avail. My U-40 permagloss coating on the graphite blank did not turn out too well. Can I sand it before applying another coat? It is the same bottle from my first rod build six months ago (which turned out great for a first timer) and it may have thickened a little. If not, I'll strip it off and try again. I've read that I can nuke it for 10-15 seconds to thin it up or maybe add a couple drops of lacquer thinner/CC. Any tips on using this stuff are greatly appreciated!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/2009 11:47PM by Daniel Willette.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Can you sand permagloss and recoat?
Posted by: George Forster (71.237.22.---)
Date: April 02, 2009 02:24AM

How bad is it? What are the symptoms? I've sanded PG, using a Scotch-Brite type nylon scrubber, to remove slight ridges, bumps, drips etc, and re-coated. It came out pretty good, but not great. I can see small evidence the original mistakes.I can see it, but others don't seem to notice it, unless I point it out to them. Maybe if I sanded it some more...?!? not sure

Do a search for PermaGloss, on this site, select "all dates", and you will have a more than a few nights of reading ahead of you.

Don't mess with it's chemical structure by thinning it. Buy a new bottle. 6 months is a millenium in the life of an opened bottle of PG.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: April 02, 2009 07:53AM

Daniel,
George is so correct that you need a new bottle of PG and do not thin with anything.

Just a word of caution - and I seem to be doing this a lot lately - DO NOT do a job of the size you are contemplating indoors. Do it outside and use a respirator rated for fumes. A dust mask will not cut-it. 3M has an inexpensive one (about $20) that you can get.
I can tell you this from experiance. Take the warning on the label very seriously.
Herb

Posted by: sam fox (208.74.247.---)
Date: April 02, 2009 08:39AM

Daniel, Permaglos will not take nuking well, you have this confused with epoxy. Permagloss is not an epoxy, it sets by exposure to air. Read how to make a cap for it so it is not exposed each time you open it. You also could do as I do, I keep it in the refrigerator and only open it enough to pour out the amount I want to use and the cap is immediately put back on and returned to the refrigerator. Be sure to wipe the top of the bottle off well before replacing the cap, using this method I have kept it up to a year without it setting up.

Posted by: Daniel Willette (---.sd.sd.cox.net)
Date: April 02, 2009 09:13PM

Thanks for the info. It's not as bad as I thought when my eyeballs aren't 2 inches from the rod. There are slight ridges and 1 or 2 drips or bumps. At arms length it's fine! This is a rebuild for experience and I guess I can't expect a factory looking finish my second time around with old gloss and no equipment! I'm gonna go with it.

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: April 02, 2009 10:29PM

DO NOT NUKE, PG IS FLAMMABLE!!!!!!

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster