I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod components help
Posted by: Dennis Dixon (---.103-97.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: March 31, 2009 05:40PM

I am fairly new to rodbuilding, and have just finished my first rod. It was a mudhole spinning rod, and while very simple it came out better than I expected. I am about to start my next rod, but don't know how to pick out components for the rod yet that will fit properly.

The rod I am building is a 8' lamiglas inshore classic graphite blank (IC96-H). Butt .61, Tip 6.5. I will be using the rod as a bridge between my lighter inshore gear and heavy surf gear. I will mostly be throwing swimbaits (4-6" storm shads), lipped hard plastics (bomber long A, crystal minnow...), and bucktails. The rod will be used on the beaches and jetties on the west coast of FL. I will be pairing the rod with a Daiwa Coastal 4000 spinning reel, which by the way I have found to be a very nice reel for the money. Line will be 20# braid. Guides will use concept system. Additionally, I have fairly large hands. I am looking for comfort and durability more than a fancy decorative rod.

1) What size reel seat should I use? 20? 22? Bigger?

2) I really like cork tape handles. Do you think the rod diameter is too small to make cork tape comfortable?

3) If cork tape is not an option, I will probably go with a foam grip. EVA vs Hypalon? I like that EVA comes in tapered grips, but hypalon seems to have a better feel and more durability. Also what size internal diameter would you suggest? Does this stuff stretch much?

Thanks for all your help. I really appreciate it, as it saves me a lot of time and $$$ returning items that don't fit.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod components help
Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.187-72.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: March 31, 2009 06:17PM

1) #18 or #20, whichever you find to be comfortable. I would suggest you look at Fuji's Ergonomic reel seats ... DNPSD. IMO, they are very comfortable for inshore use in an uplocking orientation.

2) That would be completely a matter of taste and comfort. You may find a small foregrip is desirable.

3) I would recommend EVA. Hypalon is considerably heavier, something I find undesirable in a rod to be cast all day. Purchase the largest ID that is still less than the diameter at the TOP of each grip's permanent location.

Your vendor should be more than capable of assisting you with the components ... sizing grips, etc. Pick up the phone and make the call, the internet is a valuable tool - but you can do better via "old fashioned" communication methods with this type of project.

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.66.91.75.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: March 31, 2009 06:39PM

What Jim said is pretty well spot on.
Call the guys (and gals) at Mudhole, they're happy to help.

Posted by: Eddie Hinote (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: March 31, 2009 08:55PM

Call Bob at Custom Tackle and he'll get you on the right track. E....

Posted by: Ked Stanfield (---.37.55.139.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: April 01, 2009 01:11AM

I'm a big guy (6'5'') and have big hands as well. I would think an 18 would do you right. on a rod like that unless you are going to be using it in a rod holder or something that might damage an exposed blank I would build a split but.

I would just use small cork fore grips on both ends of the reel seat as with a big grip like that you won't be touching the blank anyways. And just use short but cap.

They make short EVA grips for surf rods that are very sharply tapered that would work well for it. And you can always put cork tape on the exposed blank for a little protection. SOme production rods are made like that.

Posted by: Joe Meehan American Tackle (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: April 01, 2009 10:52AM

You can always double up on the cork tape to build up the OD and use 2 of our 3" eva fore grips w/3 ID's (which can be cut and shaped if you like), for a split grip configuration fore and rear with a butt cap or one of our light EB EVA butt caps that run up to 5/8" ID. That would keep it really light. Rocks chew up EVA butt caps but they are inexpensive and easily replaced or go w/our RBC caps rubber/vinyl. EVA does stretch a bit but with the many ID's you shouldn't have to worry about getting them on w/o too much trouble. We also have our CRSD-18 or 20 reel seat in brushed SS or Black. Mudhole has all of this. Joe Meehan American Tackle

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster