I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Saltwater Guides
Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.66.91.75.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: March 29, 2009 08:08PM

In your opinion, what are the most saltwater resistant guides on the market for light spinning tackle, 8-14# line for top water plugs?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Saltwater Guides
Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.187-72.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: March 29, 2009 08:24PM

The most corrosion resistant ... RECoil.

Posted by: Bill Pulk-Midwest rod and reel (64.122.91.---)
Date: March 29, 2009 08:37PM

I WOULD LOOK AT BATSON'S VS3 GUIDES IN SS316 STAINLESS STEEL FRAMES

Bill@midwestrodandreel.com
www.midwestrodandreel.com

Posted by: Kerry Hansen (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 29, 2009 09:35PM

Fuji or Amtac titanium frame guides

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 29, 2009 09:53PM

The ONLY guides which are SW resistant are Titanium - Fuji, Amtak, and the REC Recoils. Stainless guides from EVERY Manufacturer are not SW resistant, they will all rust/discolor at some point, although if you take care of them by rinsing after every trip they will take longer to discolor/rust.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.248.70.101.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: March 30, 2009 08:40AM

Some were saying the Fuji Alconites were good in salt ??

Bill - willierods.com

Date: March 30, 2009 09:59AM

Bill, he wasn't asking what was good, he specifically asked for the most SW resistant guides.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dca.untd.com)
Date: March 30, 2009 11:00AM

Billy
Do the Alconites rust ?? I was thinking of using them on a surf rod ? But if they do I will go for the AMTEK Ti guides.
Thanks

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Rohit Lal (---.NSW.netspace.net.au)
Date: March 30, 2009 11:15AM

The stainless steel frames on the alconite ringed guides will be ok with just basic rinsing in tap water after use. I have seen some cases where the wrap finish had lifted off the blank allowing the saltwater to creep underneath and the guide foot had rusted badly, in some cases resulting in frame failure but have only noticed this on factory rods from a certain manufacturer most of the time. As to the titanium frames and surf rods, the velocities generated by some surf rods are that high that I have seen some frames get flattened by poor/bulky shock leader to mainline knots. The titanium frame will be corrosion free but do choose the correct frame strength/shape for the job.

Date: March 30, 2009 11:41AM

Any stainless steel guide form any company will rust. Washing after every use will make rusting take longer, but they will rust/discolor. Now, does teh rust affect the performnce of teh guide? Depends onhow bad it rusts. IMO, teh majority of rust/discoloration that occurs on guides is mostly cosmetic. Now, if it starts corroding around teh ring, that can cause teh guide ring to pop out.

Date: March 30, 2009 12:00PM

Billy
I dont know if corrosion affects the crystal structure of metal the way bending does but I suspect it may as I have done many repairs on a certain brands factory rods where the BYAG guides have broken on the bend at the foot where the rust was most evident. The rust by the way did not go through the metal. The best care in my experience with ss frames has been to spray on Mr Sheen after through rinsing and polishing all residual salt/grime off and also giving it the Sheen treatment before first exposure. My personal rods show zero signs of corrosion and I fish saltwater eevery week in our harsh sun.

Date: March 30, 2009 12:46PM

Rohit, great info there. Most of the guides I deal with and see the most rust on are heaver then th Y frames, and usually the smallest size is an 8 or 10, so tehre's a bit more material there. What you do to prevent rusting is great, butyou are one of the very few who ar that diligent in taking care of their rods to that degree. On SW rods which use heavier guides, the one place you cannot protect is when teh epoxy cracks the foot/end of the guide beneath teh epoxy. Now, people who use very dark thread to wrap the guides will tell you tehir rods are perfect with no rust. Again, cosmetically they re correct but if you had to replace the guide and cutit off you'd see that there are brown streaks underneath teh guide wrap not visible.

Posted by: PAUL FANNON (119.77.68.---)
Date: March 30, 2009 01:58PM

FUJI..................The best.

End of story.

Paul.

I expect to get thrashed for my comment . Paul.

I fish therefore I am.
www.hookeduprods.com

Posted by: Darrin Heim (---.tukw.qwest.net)
Date: March 30, 2009 05:20PM

Hi Matthew,

You can guess what company's guides I would suggest (American Tackle in case there was any doubt).

I agree with Billy, titanium is the most SW resistant guide frame, it's also light weight and flexible which is perfect for a light line saltwater rod. I would also use a press fit frame like our Ringlock to help protect the rings (our Ringlocks focus on ring protection and preventing ring loss) With titanium being ideal, I do still use stainless guides with little issue. The worst issue is the red rust which often attacks around the rings causing eventual ring loss. The green corrosion is generally on the undercoating applied prior to plating or a PVD finish. We upgraded our frame materials and finishes to help eliminate any issue with stainless but that being sid, titanium is still the best for saltwater.

Hi Paul, no thrashing here but I am going to ask you why you feel Fuji is the best, it's a good learning experience for me. So,,, why?

Best Regards,

Darrin Heim
American Tackle Company

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.66.91.75.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: March 30, 2009 08:52PM

Lots of great feedback, thanks guys.
I just have an inshore guide that has had issues with guides rusting off after about a year.

Date: March 30, 2009 09:08PM

Billy
As I mentioned in my original post, I am with you there on the water creeping into the wrap area where the finish cracks. Have you tried using PG as a sealer/filler. it provides a great water barrier. The single footers are more prone to failure due to their flexing causing the cracks.

I have been known to start buffing up all the rods near me when on customers boat having a fish...lol. The fishing gear is the only thing that I look after with some care as I put in so much work into them. I always tell customers my procedure for keeping the rods in like new condition and a suprising number actually have started doing it as well

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.235.78.245.Dial1.Orlando1.Level3.net)
Date: March 31, 2009 11:53AM

Scientific data indicate titanium and NiTi alloy resist corrosion from salt water indefinitely. I have a pair of St. Croix "Ben Dorr" surf rods that are around 25 years old. I live 300 feet from the Atlantic Ocean, and I like to fish. I have religiously rinsed these rods briefly with a hose after every use and the guides, they look like Alconites (at least they have stainless steel frames), have not discolored and show no signs of failure.
We Americans continue to re-define the meaning of "excess." I suspect the quest for the "eternal fish pole" is the result of something other than the production of an efficient fishing tool.

Date: March 31, 2009 02:36PM

We Americans continue to re-define the meaning of "excess"

Not sure what that means, in Japan all factory rods have SIC, and most have TI SIC, and a lot have TI-Cermet. Here none have SIC, most want to spend less for a rod than a set of TI SIC's, and a lot never heard of TI Cermet.

lol.

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.206.40.162.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: April 01, 2009 08:10AM

I didn't mean to stir up such a hornet's nest. I was just trying to build a more durable rod.
Thanks guys.

Date: April 01, 2009 08:18AM

Not a hornet's nest, there's quite a bit of good info in here.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster