I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

27x Reducing guide quesion
Posted by: Wade White (---.flex.iowatelecom.net)
Date: March 26, 2009 01:41PM

I've been trying to layout what I need for guides on a Rainshadow 6'6" Spinjig, matched up w/ a tennessee handle and Pflueger President 6735. The face measures 1.75" thus putting my choker guide at 47.25" from the face of the reel. After laying that out and then figuring out where my reel will be placed on the handle and where the center of the spool will be I made my measurements. I got guide height information and then started laying things out.
So here's my question. The only guides I have been able to get to fall within the range that Tom describes for the first Reducing guide (Volume 10 issue 4 of Rodmaker magazine) is from Batson, but they don't offer quite what I was looking for. But the American Tackle guides I'l like to use fall outside of the recommended range.

I plan on running 6's for the running guides, and reducing guides the jury is still out.

I don't know if I can get this photo thing to work but here goes.
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 27x Reducing guide quesion
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 26, 2009 01:48PM

Sorry, but you're never going to do this by plotting numbers. You need to get some guides in hand - a few more sizes than you need, and start plugging them in. It works as advertised and will do so with almost anybody's guide offerings by moving up or down 1 size at a time.

Posted by: Peter Sprague (---.)
Date: March 26, 2009 01:56PM

The top scenario looks good with the guides you circled. I bet it would work fine. But like Tom said this is much easier to do if you have some guides in hand and can just start fiddling around them. I would not even be sure the listed factory heights are totally correct.

Date: March 26, 2009 02:06PM

I didn't know how big of a deal it is to fall outside of the 4" range for the first reducing guide. If you do which is better, closer or farther from reel or whichever is closer to the window.

Tom, I'm not trying to say that the system doesn't work. Just trying to find what style guide would "roughly" get me close or fall within the criteria you've described in your article. I think it's a GREAT concept and you've proven it out many times and hundreds of people have used it with tremendous results, so I'm convinced it works.

Please be patient with me, I always overanalyze things. It's part of being a geek.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2009 02:18PM by Wade White.

Posted by: Richard Glabach (158.72.186.---)
Date: March 26, 2009 02:08PM

Most Y style guides will work

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: March 26, 2009 02:56PM

Hmmmm?

Your quote: "I got guide height information and then started laying things out".

The point on your drawing where you entered 2.4003 - I am assuming that is the bottom of the guide ring - I am elated that you only took it to four decimal places!

Most of this set up work is done to optimize casting performance -

When the spinning reel is in operation during a cast and the spool is spinning round and round where is the line?

Does the dynamic picture of the line in motion on the outbound cast resemble a straight line - casting rods possibly but spinning rods no -

You time has probably been well spent in establishing a range of different guides to buy - get em on the blank and chunk it and you will find the correct placement in a reasonalble time -

Date: March 26, 2009 03:08PM

Thanks, Bill point well taken. Oh, I didn't reconfigure my dimensioner before I printed it.

I'm beginning to see that I'm thinking on this way too much. I need to just buy the darn guides and get it going and let the guides fall where they may along the line.

Wade

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: March 26, 2009 03:35PM

It will be a lot more fun!

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 26, 2009 04:24PM

Wade,

My point is simply that this is very easy to do with some guides in hand and much, much harder to do on a sheet of paper with height specs. I don't think you'll have any problem with either set of guides but you're going to have to make a decision on what to go with and then order one of each size and spend a few minutes playing with them.

I've seen guys plot this stuff out on paper and then get the guides and the height measurements were off to begin with. The thing is, "which is better - closer or farther from the reel" is something you can only determine by test casting and I don't think you can do that on paper. Unfortunately, custom rod building ends up being a "hands on" type of thing at some point.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster