I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Observation on Lumaseal
Posted by: Ken Finch (---.orlando-21rh15-16rt.fl.dial-access.att.net)
Date: March 25, 2009 10:59AM

Picked up a bottle and finally got around to trying it. Interesting stuff. I have previously used Permagloss for light fly rods so was used to the moisture curing urethane types. Compared to the Permagloss the Lumaseal is a lot thicker. Where Permagloss is thin as water, the Lumaseal is something more like the "lite" epoxy types. It seems about twice as thick as Permgloss so the same wrap can be coated with about half as many coats when using Lumaseal. I just finished one up and where the Permagloss took about four or five coats to build the depth I like the Lumaseal did the same in just two coats.

The both smell similar but the Lumaseal is not nearly as strong smelling. Permagloss will open your sinuses from across the room! Lumaseal does not really bother you unless you stick your nose right down in it. They are both very clear but the Lumaseal seems to have just a slight milkyness to it. But you would never notice it on the wraps. I can't.

I think I will still prefer Permagloss for blank finishing but the Lumaseal might end up being my choice for light fly rod wraps since I can do the job in just two coats.

So for me the two are quite a bit different and Lumaseal fills the gap between super thin Permagloss and the much thicker and much different epoxies. I feel that I now have three different type finishes in my shop that will allow me to cover all the bases.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Observation on Lumaseal
Posted by: Scott Parsons (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 25, 2009 01:44PM

Ken, Thank you for your observations. I feel like LumiSeal is going to work very well in the rodbuilding market which is why we introduced it. I personally also like it as a rod coating. If you are interested in trying it please call our shop or order it from 1 of our many distributors. Once again thank you for your observations. Scott and Karen

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 25, 2009 09:44PM

It also seems to set up a little slower allowing it to flow out to a glass like finish. I cannot use PG in the basement as it takes over the whole house. The lumiseal odor is at least a quarter the smell of the PG. So far Scott and Karen you have a winner.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.150.popsite.net)
Date: March 28, 2009 10:22PM

Scott
Who is selling it ?

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Robert Balcombe (---.rb2.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: May 21, 2009 04:27PM

I am like Bill who is selling it?

Good Wraps Bob

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster