I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Micro guide musky rod
Posted by: Jason Wenzel (---.dhcp.stpt.wi.charter.com)
Date: March 25, 2009 02:00AM

I've been thinking about building a micro guide musky rod. I am a little bit leary of the strength of the micro guides, mostly the tip because i will have to tie on a fly guide for the tip? Has anyone built one like this and how does it work?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Micro guide musky rod
Posted by: Stu Walden (---.dsl.lgvwtx.swbell.net)
Date: March 25, 2009 03:27AM

hey jason,

don't be worried about the strength of micro guides they preform very well, and will suit you needs fine. Your tip will, however, depends on the line you use. if you use mono line 17lbs or above do not use a micro tip. use a size 5 tip. Ithe line will hang up (found out the hard way) they make micro tips in 3.5 or 4, not sure, with a barrel size of 5.5 and less, but thy are unsupported, talk to the swampland boyz about that, they will know. if your barrel is larger than 5.5 and you are still worried i would ask the assistance of my good friend "gorilla glue"! If the barrel dia is the issue i am sure someone will chime in to assist you, they has to be one out there to suit your needs. i also think there is a supported micro tip out there, right??!

Happy fishing!!
goin' costal in 2 days!!!!

Posted by: Bobby Feazel (---.55.155.207.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: March 25, 2009 07:33AM

One 65# blue cat boated the other day while fishing a bass tournament. No issues with the micro guides.

If your blank tip is larger than 5.5 or 6 I would bite the bullet and use a tip that you would normally use on that particular blank. It'll look a little odd but it will certainly be serviceable.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 25, 2009 08:40AM

Strength of micro guides, this is something I've been explaining to people at NERBs gatherings for a year now - take a paper clip and bend it. Really easy to do, right? Now take a pair of snips, and cut the paper clip to a length of 1/4". Now try to bend it - almost impossible

Posted by: Jason Wenzel (---.dhcp.stpt.wi.charter.com)
Date: March 25, 2009 10:47AM

the tip size is the problem, I believe it is 9. I will be using 50-80 lb. braided line. I may just have to go with a regular tip.

Posted by: Jeff Friend (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: March 25, 2009 10:58AM

Billy, bending shouldn't be a problem for The HNIC. Just be sure wear the cape & hat!
Jeff

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 25, 2009 11:46AM

Jason;
use the same size tip you would normally use. You might try and Alps tip, the frame design has a smaller profile and looks better with the Micro's at least thats my opinion

Posted by: Scott Sheets (---.org)
Date: March 25, 2009 02:48PM

Same with the Alconite tops. the frame is a but smaller and looks good w/ the micro's also.

Scott Sheets
www.smsrods.com

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.chi01.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: April 02, 2009 08:11PM

I'm not sure I get this micro frenzy. Building a rod for a fish that hits like snagging your lure on a passing pickup truck and considering micros? Need to have the max sensitivity? Rather than a reasonably sized guide that could take big knots without protesting? Like maybe one of those really heavy #6's? What am I missing?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster