I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Your Favorite Non Traditional Blank for Bass Fishing
Posted by: Robert Russell (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: March 24, 2009 11:04AM

This comes up occasionally when people are asking for blank recommendations and someone recommends a blank that isn't from the Bass section of the catalog. I thought it would be interesting to have a thread dedicated to these blanks. So post your favorite non traditional blanks you use and the technique you use them for.

I'll start by listing my favorites, Castaway XP3 Popping blanks for crankbait rods. The popping blanks have a soft tip with a nice moderate action. They have 3 powers available in 8 foot and I like them all. I also like the Rainshadow Popping blanks. The IP964 Rainshadow matches the 963 Castaway. The IP965 matches the Castaway 964, but is not as light weight.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Your Favorite Non Traditional Blank for Bass Fishing
Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.scana.com)
Date: March 24, 2009 12:46PM

Those are nice blanks Robert.

A lot of back bouncing blanks make great carolina rig and swimbait blanks. Personally I love being able to get into the 8' 1 piece rods. My clients prefer the one piece as well - no telescoping!

I'd be interested in some of the other cross over blanks from salt. Perfect example, I have yet to find the right blank for the big 1 - 1.5 oz pencil poppers we throw here for schooling largemouths.

-----------------
AD

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.187-72.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: March 24, 2009 03:24PM

St Croix SC4 Inshore series. They are powerful, light and very fast ... many uses these ones have.

Posted by: Ked Stanfield (---.41.55.139.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: March 24, 2009 03:43PM

any number of the 2 piece fly blanks for light long spinning rods. I especially like the American Tackle Black matrix series as thy have more back bone than most.

Posted by: Bobby Feazel (---.55.155.207.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: March 24, 2009 07:30PM

Robert

I started to respond to your thread early this morning, but decided to wait to see how it progressed for some reason.

Since there has been few responses, I have concluded that one of two things is happening. First, there aren't many bass fisher persons on this site (I doubt that is true) or we are being so locked up in our MagBass boxes that very few of us have been able to smell the fresh air. I think it's a shame that the better manufactures’ haven't thought of this before you but who knows it's probably a matter of their comfort zone.

Alex is spot on with his query about saltwater blanks. My first 2 forays into the SW genre' were not very successful, either because of lack of knowledge or poor initial choices, but I am convinced that one of us will find some gems scattered among these blanks.

I did a quick Pareto on all the blanks that I have built on in the last 3 years and believe it or not a 6 power HotShot blanks came in a strong third.

Posted by: James Hicks (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: March 24, 2009 08:22PM

I've built a few drop section fly blanks as UL UL brush rods. They run about 6' and don't weigh much more than the shorty tennessee handle I put on them. Single foot wire fly guides and 6# braid on a micro reel completes the rod. Great for crawling through the trees and brush along the local lakes and there's enough spring to slingshot a lizard when there's no room for a full cast.

Posted by: mike harris (---.borgwarner.com)
Date: March 25, 2009 10:36AM

The CastAway HG40 843 popping blank makes a fabulous small crankbait rod. Unfortunately when I got the 2 I have now Lance said they were among the last he had.

Posted by: Ted Morgan (---.static.tpgi.com.au)
Date: March 25, 2009 10:06PM

Lighter powered popping rods make good crankbait rods, and also work well for finesse techniques like shaky head, dropshotting and any time you need to downsize lures.
Pretty much set on that type of blank for light tackle lure fishing with 6-8 lb braid and small plugs and soft plastics.

Posted by: Robert Russell (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: March 26, 2009 02:37PM

I'm with Ted. I really like using the lighter popping blanks as finesse rods. I can throw a split shot rig that weighs under .2 oz on a 2 power popping blank and 50 mg just as far as I can with my light action spinning set up. I have a client that caught an 8.4 last week on a 7' 2 power popping blank. He told me he needs 6 more just like it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster