I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Epoxy not bonding to nickle silver parts
Posted by: John Gertz (---.mpls.qwest.net)
Date: March 18, 2009 07:41PM

I've recently experienced two cases of loss of adhesive bond between wood inserts and nickle sliver reel seat parts. Both times it's been the butt cap on uplocking fly reel seats. The epoxy is very much bonded to the wood, but breaks cleanly from the nickle silver part. I use Scotchbrite (gray color) pads to clean the metal parts, mix the epoxy correctly, assemble and don't mess with things for 24 hours. Anybody have a suggestion on what I might be doing wrong here. Is there a better adhesive for this, for example 3M Scotch Weld?

Thanks for the help.

John Gertz

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Epoxy not bonding to nickle silver parts
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 18, 2009 08:04PM

NIckel Silver is hard for epoxy to bond to. The surface must be "primed." Try this, prepare a water break free surface as usual, then apply a very thin coat of CA adhesive to the surface. Let set for a few hours. Then apply epoxy and assemble as usual. This usually does the trick.

Posted by: John Gertz (---.mpls.qwest.net)
Date: March 18, 2009 08:16PM

Thanks for the help Tom. Is CA the same as Super Glue?

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 18, 2009 09:16PM

Yes.

Posted by: John Krukemeier (---.dsl.ipltin.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 18, 2009 10:07PM

Drill a few small blind holes at various angles to the inside of the cap. The epoxy will flow into the holes and harden. Because the holes are at various angles, a mechanical attachment is made. The butt cap cannot move in any direction, even if there is no adhesion. (This assumes that the epoxy does adhere to something on the inside of the reel seat.)

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.248.86.185.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: March 18, 2009 11:26PM

Try a rougher scotch pad or sand paper.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Jeffrey Van Zandt (64.186.113.---)
Date: March 19, 2009 10:04AM

Hi Sir, I use a needle file to mark up the inside of all nickel silver and on most of my seats I also pin the butt caps with nickle silver wire as was done on a lot of older fly rods God Bless Jeff Rhonda and Kaya

Posted by: Charlie Armontrout (---.dmt.ntelos.net)
Date: March 21, 2009 10:13PM

John,

What you are doing and all of the advice previously given is great but no one stated you also needed to DE-GREASE THE METAL PARTS of all manufacturing residues and fingerprints after the roughing up process. Use electrical contact cleaner or a "brake parts cleaner" that does not contain petroleum distillates. The cleaning process must not leave a film of its own.

After cleaning, then epoxy the parts.

Charlie

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster