I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Hi build finish shelf life?
Posted by: Chris Holm (---.dsl.irvnca.pacbell.net)
Date: March 16, 2009 09:38AM

Good morning. I have finished a fly rod with single foot guides and 4 wrap tags. Everything looked really good after four coats of color prez. I brought the epoxy up to room temp, was careful to measure in a graduated vessel, mixed thoroughly and didn't overwork. Much to my disappointment the cured finish although it "feels" good is dull and it looks like it got contaminated. I was careful to clean the rod, cup and brush in alcohol and let dry. I used a new brush and I have not used the epoxy for several months and wonder if it is too old. What is the wisdom out there? Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Hi build finish shelf life?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 16, 2009 09:56AM

It is not too old - epoxies don't get "old." It will last longer than you will.

Okay, now exactly what's the problem. It could be a case of amine blush that can and sometimes does occur when there is a certain concentration of humidity and CO2 present. Neither of these alone can cause it and it takes a certain combination for it to occur, but it can and does happen.

Does the surface of your epoxy look "oily."

If this isn't the case, then it could simply be a situation where the epoxy wasn't completely mixed. In that case the batch will be a bit cloudy/swirly, etc.

One of these 2 is likely the culprit.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nj-01.cvx.algx.net)
Date: March 16, 2009 10:14AM

I always wash my brush cup or what ever with mid-temp lacquer thinner. I was thinking that the alcohol since it is said to leave a film after it drys, might be the cause ??

Bill - willierods.com

Date: March 16, 2009 10:47AM

Thanks. The surface is not oily, in fact the as I worked my way up the rod, the finish actually improves. The worst instance is at the winding check/hook keeper. The left over epoxy dried in the cup clear as a bell so I think the mixing was complete.

I have had enough of hand mixing epoxy and ordered a mixer last week. I have been using Spar urethane as an alternative and the results have been very good without the unintended consequences of chemistry.

Posted by: Harold Dean (207.194.36.---)
Date: March 16, 2009 06:46PM

Chris:

Is it possible that you put the 4 coats of CP on too heavy. This will cause the CP to form a milky glaze on itself some times because the thread wraps are fully saturated. It may be this glaze that is causing the epoxy to look cloudy when in fact it's the undercoats of CP. If the CP has saturated the threads on the first or second coat, another coat or two is not necessary as the wraps have already been sealed.

Just a thought.

Harold

Posted by: Sean Cheaney (---.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: March 17, 2009 10:47PM

Did you start the finish job at the butt end?

You MAY not have mixed the finish well enough, but as it sat and got used over and over toward the tip section, you were actually still mixing it a little and thus by the time you got up about halfway it was perfectly fine to use. Just a complete guess as a possibility.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 18, 2009 01:04PM

One other possibility - I have seen this happen. Slightly unmixed epoxy gets up on the side of the mixing container (this is why we all must remember to scrape the sides of the mixing container when mixing). If your brush picks that up, you get a swirly, hazy bit of finish on there. When the brush hits the middle of the mix, away from the cup edges, the clarity is fine. Just something else to consider.

Date: March 21, 2009 11:03AM

All great responses.

As for the CP being too heavy, it was quite shiny, in fact the wife thought it was the finish. Rethinking the whole affair Tom's last comment sounds most plausible. Onward.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster