I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Micro Spinning with recoils
Posted by: Mitch Leppelmeier (207.58.240.---)
Date: March 12, 2009 09:27AM

Building a smallmouth rod from the lamiglas "popping" series842, cutting the 7' down to 6'6" or 6'9". Customer wants a micro setup but would like me to use recoil guides for the durability. Has anyone gone down this road before? My thought was to use the recoils just for the running guides and using TiC for the tip and butt guides because of the height. He would perfer all recoils but I dont know that i can make it work because of the lower height. The reel he will be using is a shimano 1000 series with 6 lb test. My other guestion is what size recoil fly guides will be equal to a sz 3 or 4 fuji fly guide to use as the running guides. Sorry for all the guestions but I have never used the REC guides before so its a new road for me.

Thanks in advance!

Mitch

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Micro Spinning with recoils
Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: March 12, 2009 09:40AM

I have done several with partial Recoils - 16, 10 and 6 then running Fuji 3.5 SIC - same use as yours - fine rods!

Posted by: Mitch Leppelmeier (207.58.240.---)
Date: March 12, 2009 10:08AM

I was looking to do it the other way using the recoils as the running, but now that i think about it your way makes more sense because the larger guides are the ones that get damaged more often.

Posted by: bill boettcher (72.251.106.---)
Date: March 12, 2009 10:30AM

You better check on this, it is said that the recoils - sing -

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: March 12, 2009 10:38AM

It is really nice to listen to music and fish at the same time! Some fish prefer the classics - Some lines like braid play a nice tune no matter what the instrument chosen - Hmmmmmm - Gotta Love It when the big ones are in the bushes!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2009 11:21AM by Bill Stevens.

Posted by: John Kepka (---.dsl.stlsmo.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 12, 2009 12:53PM

I have been told that the "singing" has been observed using the ultralight single foot guides and tends to disappear when using the saltwater weight single foot guides.

Posted by: Gary Colling (---.fibrewired.on.ca)
Date: March 12, 2009 01:17PM

I don't think Recoils come in 3 or 4 mm size. I think they only go to 6mm, but I'm not positive.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: March 12, 2009 01:49PM

Recoils aren't made in either a small SF fly or spinning guide, the #6 spinning and the smallest #1 SF fly are about the same OD only difference is the double wrap of wire on the spinning.
My guess is that there isn't a huge weight savings from a Recoil vs a 3mm Batson. The Batson may even be lighter.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2009 01:51PM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 12, 2009 05:31PM

I my opinion; if you are looking to recoil’s for durability. You may be barking up the wrong tree. Have heard of some breaking, but the only experience I've had so far is being asked to remove them off rods, because of what they were doing to the line.
I have a small collection accumulating.

Posted by: Mo Yang (---.static.rvsd.ca.charter.com)
Date: March 12, 2009 10:41PM

Recoils are not micro, even in the smallest sizes. But they are sure light....so from a sensitivity and recovery point of view, they are like micros. But size wise, they are not micro.

Mo

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster