I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Deburring and polishing reel seats
Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.gctel.stellarllc.net)
Date: March 11, 2009 01:15PM

I have family & other customers that find the CUI SKM1C spinning handle the most comfortable. I'd like to rework the seat a bit since it has mold lines on the threads, and some sharp edges here and there. What can I use to quickly smooth these areas? I was thinking about a cloth wheel or something on the grinder but I think that may turn too fast and create enough heat to melt plastic. I've tried sanding, etc. but it is too time consuming.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Deburring and polishing reel seats
Posted by: Darrin Heim (---.tukw.qwest.net)
Date: March 11, 2009 02:55PM

Hi Chuck,

I have used emory cloth, fine sand paper, dremel etc. and I am not familiar with these seats but some graphite seats burnish easily and you might end up with a smooth line (or area) where you just wanted to knock down the sharp seams. I have done some seats myself that ended up with odd burnished areas. If large enough, I will use a razor blade to shave off the bulk and then hit it with sand paper or the dremel to smooth out the mould lines. Might just try the cloth wheel though or ask what CUI suggests.

Best Regards,

Darrin Heim
American Tackle Company.

Re: Deburring and polishing reel seats
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 11, 2009 03:12PM

Chuck,
The optimum way to do this is wiht a power buffer and various grades of polishing compounds.
For example:

[www.harborfreight.com]

or

[www.harborfreight.com]
If you happen to have a bench grinder, you could remove the end caps and shield and replace the grinding wheel with a buffing wheel:

For example:
[search.harborfreight.com]

If you notice, on this page you find cloth buffers which appear to have a fairly loose floopy texture, and then there are the buffing wheel which have a tight spiral seam which tends to cause the outside edges of the buffing wheel to be much harder.
So, when selecting cloth buffing wheels, select loose, loosely sewn wheels for the final ultra shine appication.
However, for material removal and or when using coarser polishing compounds, use the tightly sewing buffing wheels for their harder surface to more quickly remove materal.

Finally, you need buffing compound to coat the wheel.

[www.harborfreight.com]
This compound is to be used as the final polish for the reel seats to give a nice shine to the seat.

By the way, this will also do a nice job of removing scratches from many different plastic items, like tail light lens, covers, etc.

The following compound works very well fof the final polish on aluminum and stainless, for example reel seat hold down rings etc.
I also use this compound as a first compound to use for the initial material removal when polishing reel seats to get the ridges knocked down.
[www.harborfreight.com]

Since cloth buffing wheels are relatively inespensive from this source, I might suggest that you get a couple of different wheels of each type to allow you to keep one buffer wheel dedicated to a particular type buffing compound.

Good luck and happy polishing.

Roger

p.s.
If you do buy a nice buffing motor with extended shafts to allow work to be postioned all around the buffing wheel, you will be amazed at how many different uses your find for this machine. Any thing from rust removal, polishing out scratches on equipment, sharpening, removing tarnish from brass and copper, polishing boat propellors etc. etc. etc.

If you do happen to have some scratches on a blank, but don't want to, or can't put the blank in a lathe, the buffer does a nice job of buffing scratches out of the blank. If you do use the buffer to buff out blank scratches, it is generally a good ides to position the blank so that the lenght of the blank is aligned with the direction of the rotating wheel. i.e. have the buffer run down the length of the blank, rather than at 90 degrees to the direction of the blank. This tends to help avoid burning the blank, or overdoing a specific spot in the blank.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster