I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

First Attempt
Posted by: Danny Brown (65.82.46.---)
Date: March 09, 2009 12:47PM

I am the process of making myself a flippin' stick. This is my first attempt at building a rod and have just now finished wrapping all the guides. At first this was a difficult task for me but after doing a few I found it getting easier so much in fact I went back and redid a couple I wasn't happy with. This rod is 7'6" and I purchased the two ounce quantity of the two part coating mixture. The more I look at the rod and then the containers I'm becoming concerned that I may not have enough to coat the entire rod. What do you think? Am I just being too cautious or will two ounces suffice? This is a great forum and I will appreciate any help.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: First Attempt
Posted by: Pat Helton (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: March 09, 2009 01:04PM

Hi Danny
Welcome to the wonderful world of rodbuilding. First you don't coat the whole rod, just the threadwork. If you mix 3CC's of each part of the epoxy you will have enough to coat the threads. Of course if you have put a really long buttwrap on it you might need a little more. I would mix 3CC's of each and if you need more you can mix it with no problems.
Good luck and don't get in a hurry.
Pat

Posted by: Erik Repyneck (---.102.143.187.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: March 09, 2009 01:05PM

Danny- you'll have plenty. If you have the syringes, just mix up about 2-3cc of each. You want to have enough at one shot, rather than going back and mixing more.

Like Pat said

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2009 01:07PM by Erik Repyneck.

Posted by: Danny Brown (65.82.46.---)
Date: March 09, 2009 01:26PM

Guess I'm really confused! Thought you had to coat the entire rod with a finish. What about the decals and such don't you coat them with a finish?

Posted by: Trinity Lindseth (---.redlake.k12.mn.us)
Date: March 09, 2009 01:57PM

You will want to cover the decals and the thread. That is all. You may want to seal the cork if you used cork, but that is not done with the same finish as the guides. Welcome to the addiction!

Posted by: John Kepka (---.dsl.stlsmo.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 09, 2009 02:02PM

Do a test on your epoxy to simply make sure that everything works ok before you put it on the rod. Get comfortable with using is before you start on the rod. I will save you stress and possibly a major problem. Get an idea of your pot life for the epoxy you are using. Don't be afraid of wasting any thread finish.

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: March 09, 2009 08:50PM

Yes, read John's post again. You should always mix more than you need and don't worry about throwing some away. If you mix at least 2-3 cc's, the error rate will be less critical, which is more important than not throwing any away.

Mix very well, 2 or 3 minutes, then mix more. Most finish errors are caused by either insufficient mixing or bad ratios/measurements. Also, don't worry about painting it on painstakingly. Load up your brush or spatula and hold it against the wrap while you rotate the rod by hand. It will level if you let it.

Good luck!

Terry

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster