I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Cork Replacement
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 07, 2009 05:58PM

For year's folks have been seeking a suitable replacement for cork. Not something that serves the same function - there are many good substitutes along those lines. But rather something that looks, feels, weighs and looks like cork.

Today I was excited to receive 3 grips made from a new material that does, in fact, look, feel and weigh what cork does. The resiliency is almost identical. No, it's not urethane foam, nor standard EVA nor anything else that rod builders are used to. The only difference in appearance is that it's formed from a single turning block and thus there are no rings nor assembly/glue lines such as you have with most cork grips. According to the manufacturer, the major difference is that it's more durable and longer wearing than cork. And, it won't attract and hold dirt, grime and slime the way cork does. The manufacturer also states that it's actually lighter than cork. My own weight measurements didn't confirm that, but it's certainly no heavier.

For now, it will be available in preformed grips. Eventually, I'm hoping it will be available in squares for "turn your own" handles and grips. I'm not going to mention who makes it or where it will soon be available as I was asked not to. That will come soon enough.

Will it be accepted as a common substitute for cork? What about on higher end premium type fly rods? Well, in time it just might. It's really pretty darn good and the closest substitute to cork I've seen in over 30 years of building rods. Still, it will no doubt be an uphill battle - cork is held in high esteem by many anglers so only time will tell if this stuff will be able to make any real dent in cork's dominance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cork Replacement
Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: March 07, 2009 06:14PM

I'll take a few squares to try :-) ....if they decide to create them. If not, then the product likely wont be much to many builders.

The handle area is the biggest noticeable part of the rod that can be changed and made our own. I don't care a lot for preformed anything concerning grips. Lets hope they come to the darkside and offer it in block form.

DR

Date: March 07, 2009 06:40PM

I agree, but even among custom rod builders pre-formed grips outsell custom made grips by 100 to 1. Always have and always will. It'll all depend if the manufacturer decides to get into that area of the market or not.

Posted by: Scott Sheets (---.sub-166-156-63.myvzw.com)
Date: March 07, 2009 08:08PM

Wouldnt it be easier for them to sell a block of it instead of a pre-formed grip?? Wondering what it is.......you know this is torture right?

Scott Sheets
www.smsrods.com

Posted by: Robert Balcombe (207.118.61.---)
Date: March 07, 2009 08:49PM

Tom do you think you would be able to repai it like I do cork ?

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Robert Balcombe (207.118.61.---)
Date: March 07, 2009 09:44PM

Sorry about that last post. It should have read. Tom do you think it can be repaired? Like I do my cork system .

Good Wraps Bob

Date: March 07, 2009 11:01PM

They will go after the OEM market first due to it's much, much larger size.

Posted by: sam fox (208.74.247.---)
Date: March 08, 2009 10:00AM

Tom, this is vey interesting to me, as you know I have my own substitute in arbor vitae wood. I'm sorry this wood is not available for commercial distribution as I have wieghed it in comparison to cork and it is slightly heavier. The good news for me is I have a large supply of it due to the trees growing on my place. I look forward to this new development. Most of my grips are now wood but I'm not shutting my eyes to any new development.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster