I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

spinnerbait rod
Posted by: Chris-Sadler (99.191.176.---)
Date: March 04, 2009 06:48PM

Hello, Im need help to find a good blank to build me a rod for using spinnerbaits, It will be a baitcasting and ill be using 3/8 -1/2oz spinnerbaits mostly. Anyone have any reccomendations? Im also planning on going micro, and keeping the weight down. Any reccomendations on any part of this build will be appreciated. Thank You Chris Sadler

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: spinnerbait rod
Posted by: Darrin Heim (---.tukw.qwest.net)
Date: March 04, 2009 07:31PM

Hi Chris,

I don't do this type of fishing any more and there are so many opinions based on local and niche fisheries but technique is technique. I have a buddy that has been making light and med-light spinner bait rods out of our Matrix blank. He won't tell anybody what they are but I will, Here's the models he uses:

AMSJ782 6'6" 6-12# line 1/8-3/8oz. fast action #5 top
AMMBC782 6'6" 8-14# line 1/4-5/8oz. fast action #4.5 top

Hope you will consider them.

Best Regards,

Darrin Heim
American Tackle Company

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: March 04, 2009 07:57PM

Spinner Bait Blanks
Two Options

Castaway Blank 822 Details

6'10" Line # 8 - 14 Lure Oz. - 1/4 - 1/2 PWR - ML Action - Fast
Butt Dia. - 0.559 Tip - 5.0 Wt. Oz. - 2.1

Castaway XP3 823

6'10" Line # 12 - 25 Lure Oz. - 3/8 - 3/4 PWR - M Action - Fast
Butt Dia. - 0.570 Tip - 5.5 Wt. Oz. - 2.1

Please use Contact Us Link for Information on Micro Package With Split Grips and Castaway Fully Exposed Seat.

[www.swamplandtackle.com]

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (24.145.81.---)
Date: March 04, 2009 08:14PM

I built up a CastAway 823 (micros as well)... client in AL had rave reviews. On it's way to El Salto for some field testing next month!

Client couldn't believe two things... very light weight, almost casted out his spool on a revo.

I wish I could get to fish some of these rods I build!

-----------------
AD

Posted by: BobMcKamey (---.dhcp.jcsn.tn.charter.com)
Date: March 04, 2009 08:38PM

Chris -- As stated in the previous post. You will find that there will be various opinions of what to use for a spinner bait rod. There are lots of great choices in blanks for the range of spinner baits that you have indicated. I will toss out something to consider. If you will be using the rod to toss spinner baits around cover, which is often times where most bass tend to hang out. Then you may want to consider a blank that has a nice efficient tip for casting the spinner bait and also being able to have complete feel of it during the retrieve, with then a powerful butt for a completed hook-set. I find these new Batson RX8 blanks to be a excellent choice for that purpose. Take a look at the XMB 783. -- 6'-6" -- 10 to 17 lb. line rating -- 1/4 to 3/4 oz. lure range. the blank weighs in at 1.79 oz. If you want a rod that it is light inweight, start with a blank that weighs less and use the "Micro' guides. If you prefer a longer rod, it is also available in 7'. The gloss titanium finish is outstanding. We have been running a extended show special on the entire RX8 series at 25 % off the Batson suggested retail price. High perfromance blanks at fantastic pricing. We can also help you with selcting a set of micro guides and a multiple choice in various handes. Give me a call at 931-684-6164 if you would be interested in a blank or complete package. One other aspect ot these blanks. Besides a great blank for spinner baits, you will find they can be used as a very good all-purpose rod, where a multiple range of other various lures could be used. You get more bang for the buck!!

Bob McKamey -- Custom Tackle Supply

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2009 08:45PM by Custom Tackle Supply.

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (24.145.81.---)
Date: March 05, 2009 12:58AM

Bob has a good point about a little shorter rod... I just built another rod for spinner baits... 6' with a pistol grip and we almost went 5'10"... made for shooting a spinnerbait under cover, docks, etc... think about how you're going to use it.

-----------------
AD

Posted by: Scott Sheets (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 05, 2009 06:05PM

The 3C60MF makes a nice close quarters pistol grip rod....carry one in my boat all the time.

Scott Sheets
www.smsrods.com

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.chi.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: March 05, 2009 06:54PM

I really love my Loomis. Not much support for Loomis on this site recently, and I don't know why. Their technique specific blanks really do a nice job. Check them out for the weight baits you will be casting.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster