I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

testors for pigment
Posted by: Steven Loughery (---.trapac.com)
Date: March 03, 2009 04:00PM

I picked up some testors paints to use in some marbling. my 4 y.o. son was playing with them and shook them up REALLY good. How much will they separate? It's been about 4 days and the metalic gold and copper have seperated in a big way - only the bottom 1/4 of the bottle has pigment in it. The other colors have not really seperated much at all. What happens when I just use it without pouring off the clear material?
Steven

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: testors for pigment
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: March 03, 2009 04:42PM

Most of the paints don't separate and really aren't good for marbeling. The lacquers don't separate or thicken, the enamels aren't too bad but the metallics are awesome! You want to pour off all of the solvents and use the thick pigment that remains. A toothpick works fine. You neesd very little

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Paul O'Connor (---.sbr4.nsw.optusnet.com.au)
Date: March 04, 2009 03:49AM

Mike. How little is little.

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 04, 2009 01:03PM

Paul,

Can't positively speak for Mike, but I think he's gonna tell you just enough to make the epoxy opaque. Usually a drop or 2 from a toothpick MAYBE 3.

Bill in WV

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: March 04, 2009 02:01PM

Like Bill, said, enough to make it whatever color/shade you want. IMO, if you can measure drops, it's way to thin and still has solvents in it. For best results (for me) It should be really thick (like vaseline). Using a toothpick, needle, etc. just keep adding until you get what you want. Play with it on scrap until you get the hang of it!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Date: March 04, 2009 05:15PM

Mike, I see what you mean with the consistency of vasoline. The metallic gold is THICK and it only takes a TINY amount to color quite a bit of epoxy. when you pour off the solvent in the colored enamels, is it colored and thin? I am assuming that there will be some thick stuff left at the bottom when I pour most of the paint out. It's been sitting for over a week and there is only about an 1/8th of an inch of clear above some thin but colored material. I'll just have to dump it and see.
Thanks
Steven

duplicate oops

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2009 05:15PM by Steven Loughery.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2009 05:16PM by Steven Loughery.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster