I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

g-loomis
Posted by: ARTIE LETT (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: February 27, 2009 07:03PM

i have heard that g-loomis is not going to offer rod blanks in 2010. is this true or just a marketing tool in a slow economy. also if this is true what blanks offer the same quality of blank probably at a better price.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: g-loomis
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 27, 2009 07:21PM

As they have moved to the "just in time" rod delivery system where products are made to order rather than stockpiled, they find that offering blanks tends to interfere with that process. As such, G. Loomis, Inc. is considering not offering blanks to the custom builder beyond 2009 or so.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: February 27, 2009 08:00PM

I hope they reconsider.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.187-72.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: February 27, 2009 08:26PM

There are a few models of G Loomis blanks that have no substitute ... no doubt.

However, IMO our friends at St Croix offer FAR superior technology at better prices, when suitable models exist. The new SCV blanks are absolutely incredible ... strength to weight ratios that are truly amazing. BTW, the new "blue-green flip" paint job, on some of the new models, is out of this world.

I would be VERY surprised if G Loomis offers custom blanks beyond this fall. This is the second year that they have "snubbed" the custom market by not being an exhibitor at the ICRBE. IMO, that speaks volumes for their lack of interest in our market segment.

Jim -

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.26.30.71.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: February 27, 2009 09:43PM

Not showing up at the show is a huge red flag but if they pull out, somebody (St. Croix or somebody) will fill the void. Such is the cycle of industry.
I've built on a few of their blanks and am just not really impressed when you look at some of the other top $ blanks.
These are only my opinions.

Posted by: Mike Thompson (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: February 28, 2009 10:38AM

The hardest thing about Loomis and this decision is that the following they have is very large, I find it hard to convert those die hard Loomis fans into trying another manufacturer, soon they will be forced into it and will be surprised to find there are blanks out there that will blow there mind in quality and price. Its time to educate these followers about the other labels, if I could build comparable rods on Rx8 or ScV blanks, with no identifiable markings and let them hit the water with them, the only way they could hand me back the Loomis is with a lucky guess. And the if I asked which rod they would want me to build the odds are not going to be the Loomis, IMO. At least there still in business and if were not good enough at our job of salesman and educators of the business we know and love, they can still buy a off the shelf Loomis rod to go with there Loomis tattoo, and apparel. Its funny because I will see someone out somewhere with a Loomis apparel on and ask him about fishing the product just to find out he doesn't even own any, kinda like Harley Davidson apparel over half of them don't own a Harley and never have, just a status thing.

IMHO - you can buy a better rod, you just cant pay more for it!

Mike Thompson
Thompson's Custom Rods

It is impossible to make anything foolproof, because fools are so ingenious!

Date: February 28, 2009 10:44AM

The funny thing, is that in the heyday of Loomis blanks, when they were cutting edge and everyone else was playing catch-up, it was hard to get folks to even try a Loomis blank. When I began using them back in 1982 (LCI) and 1983 (G.Loomis, Inc.) most fishermen and other rod builders I talked to thought I was crazy to build on an "off brand."

For all the excellent models they make, it has been some years since G. Loomis introduced any new blank technology. Most of that, what little of it there is, comes from elsewhere these days.

Posted by: Robert Russell (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: February 28, 2009 05:52PM

It's too bad, but I agree that there are other options out there that offer equal to or better performance and at better pricing. I've converted many Loomis die hards to some of these other options, including the RX8s and St. Croixs mentioned above. About the only guys I build Loomis for these days are required to fish Loomis.

Posted by: ben runyan (---.161.156.151.Dial1.Cincinnati1.Level3.net)
Date: February 28, 2009 07:57PM

Is there really a blank that is lighter And more sensitive than the GLX models and is cheaper. If so then why Is GLX so expensive I Know alot is do to the name and warrenty on the rods.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: February 28, 2009 08:17PM

Ben,
When GLX graphite came out it was specifically designed as a rod graphite and not an aerospace graphite that we are using on products. It was, and probably still is, many time more expensive that the other materials Loomis uses. That was back in the early 90's, have no idea if the others have access to similar materials now.

Date: March 01, 2009 06:59AM

Similar materials are indeed available now and many rod blank manufacturers are using them, albeit with somewhat different designs.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 01, 2009 10:44AM

Ben;
For the same reason Reebok’s and other name brand sneakers are so much money the a few others.
It's called effective marketing
That effective marketing has a majority wanting Loomis and Fuji (another company affective at marketing) and willing to pay more then a far share of markup to get it.

Another word for it is “Name Brand Recognition”

Posted by: jim spooner (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: March 01, 2009 11:34AM

Just curious….if money was NOT an issue, what would be the best blanks (based on strength to weight ratio) in your opinions? Assuming of course, comparable power and action. “Value” would be a whole new issue.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.187-72.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: March 01, 2009 01:43PM

There are quite a few manufacturers that do a good job, some even a great job. However, St Croix has been investing heavily in equipment, talent and materials over the past several years. At this point, there isn't a single doubt in my mind that St Croix owns the top position in respect to technology and design.

If the class/action of blank you are considering is offered in the new SC5 series, I don't believe it gets any better. SC5 carbon in the upper matrix, SC6 carbon in the lower matrix PLUS the latest improvements in both ART and IPC technology. To top things off, the new paint jobs are very nice ... in fact the new Blue-Green Flip is absolutely spectacular.

Posted by: jim spooner (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: March 01, 2009 02:21PM

I recently built on a SC 5C66MHF-B and really like it. I thought the blank seemed a bit heavy (weight) and was surprised at how much weight was saved when I removed the finish. Not surprisingly, the blank underneath was ugly, LOL. Maybe that’s why St Coix and others don’t offer their blanks without finish.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.57.251.72.1dial.com)
Date: March 01, 2009 08:24PM

graphite looks nice with one nice coat of permagloss.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Rusty Byrley (---.houston-05rh15-16rt.tx.dial-access.att.net)
Date: March 02, 2009 09:14PM

In a past issue of FTR (Fishing Tackle Retailer) I read that G Loomis sold out to Shimano. I was under the impression that this was common knowledge by now, even though they have never advertised the fact. Included in that sale was the rest of the existing blanks that were on hand and their rescource and developement dept. Many retailers have commented on the new Shimano Cumara rod as to whether it may be a GLX or an IMX on a different label. I'm sure that Shimano has no intention of telling anyone if this is so or not.
I guess its kind of like what Shakespeare did to Allstar Rods.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: March 02, 2009 11:48PM

Shimano has owned part, or all of G Loomis for over 8 years now. The only Shimano blanks that were built at Loomis, that I've ever heard of, were the V-Rods.

Posted by: Bill Giokas (---.bos-dynamic.gis.net)
Date: March 03, 2009 06:05AM

Very simple by not offering blanks those that want a Loomis will have to pay full retail for their rods. Bill Giokas

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster