I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

G Loomis Guide Spacing
Posted by: Jason Sullivan (---.dhcp.eucl.wi.charter.com)
Date: February 24, 2009 09:57PM

I'm building an SJ842.

It only show 5 guides under the guide size section.

Can that be correct?

[www.gloomis.com]

Jason Sullivan

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: G Loomis Guide Spacing
Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.187-72.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: February 24, 2009 10:03PM

Actually, G Loomis uses SIX guides in their factory layout of the SJ842. They utilize "Cone of Flight" spacing. It is a quite old method, although it still has a few followers ... mostly those that want to utilize fewer guides (material cost) and less time (labor cost).

Take a look at the library articles on "Static Guide Placement" or "New Concept Spacing". In addition, you will find quite a few very useful articles in past issues of RodMaker magazine. They are not only informative, but come complete with illustrations and great examples.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2009 10:04PM by Jim Gamble.

Posted by: Obed Patty (---.dhcp.stls.mo.charter.com)
Date: February 24, 2009 10:04PM

The link did not work.
There might be five sizes listed, but that does not mean there are only five guides.
You will likely have 7-8 guides plus the tip if you build using industry standard guidelines.
There are many different ways to place guides that varies based on technique, reel spool size and more importantly guide types and sizes.
Try the search function, glossary, and library above for more information

Hope this helps

Life is pretty simple: You do some stuff. Most fails. Some works. You do more of what works. If it works big, others quickly copy it. Then you do something else. The trick is the doing something else.
Leonardo da Vinci

Date: February 24, 2009 10:07PM

I'm sorry.

Here is the proper link: [www.gloomis.com]

Date: February 24, 2009 10:10PM

The chart show 5 guides and placement for 6 guides. I called G Loomis directly. They admitted it was an error, but weren't able to offer a solution.

Even 6 guides (not including tip top) is lacking from my experience.

Jason

Posted by: Obed Patty (---.dhcp.stls.mo.charter.com)
Date: February 24, 2009 10:11PM

Thanks for the link. Jim nailed it above.
I would not recommend that spacing. Follow Jim's advice.

Posted by: Robert Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: February 24, 2009 10:40PM

There are many variables reel type / style of guide. Remember most companies want to build decent rod. Then on the other hand the want to make it as cheap as possible. One less guide, means less thread and finish. Which also equates to labor and material saved. Which means a large saving to the company over a year and a larger profit margin to work with

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: February 24, 2009 11:53PM

G Loomis has, IMO inadequate spacing on their rods. You'll see every rod of a certain length has the same guide spacing, no matter the blank's action. Just about all my factory rods have been rewrapped because of their spacing and the easy reductions in weight of the NCG system.

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.248.31.71.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: February 25, 2009 07:51AM

Robert hit it on the head.
Less material + less work = higher profit margin per rod. That's simple math. If you think it needs more, then put more on. The builders job, whether it be for sale or not, is to build a quality tool. The NCG system works pretty good for me but it's your rod.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.251.122.217.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: February 25, 2009 12:18PM

Good starting place is one guide per foot plus one. If a spinner 27 times the with of spool Face for the chock guide. Then static test, and test, and test again.

You can also try St Croix's spacing. Don't get nervice just because it's a Loomis

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster