I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

ICRBE through a different lens
Posted by: Harry Boyd (---.shv.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 24, 2009 08:25PM

Fly rods represent a small corner in the rod making world. Bamboo fly rods are an even smaller part of that niche market. Bob Nunley and I manned the Ozark Rod Makers School booth this weekend at ICRBE. Our goal was to recruit students for our comprehensive bamboo fly rod making school. Chances are good that our perspective is a little different than some others.

First I think I need to echo the sentiments already expressed well in many posts below. Thank you, Tom K. for making this event happen. By Sunday evening you seem to have survived running at full speed all weekend, and we're all glad. And thank you to the many vendors and demonstrators who put themselves on the line for others. You are what draws out the nice crowds. Neal from Donart was next door. While I've bought stuff from Donart in the past, we had never met. By Sunday afternoon we were not only customers and fellow rodmakers, but friends. Rob Smith and Steve Hoye at Fishhawk are as friendly and enjoyable a duo as you will meet. It was great to meet the guys behind a product I have used for years. As I said in the CSE post, renewing old friendships from Nashville show days was a great treat for me. John, Hunter, Barry, Bob and the gang were a big part of that. Hey, we might even make that Duck River shindig in May. But getting to see Jim Upton and the Batsons again, making friends with the AmTak gang, meeting JP, saying hello to Ralph O'Quinn, Bill Stevens, and too many more to name was a sheer joy. My partner Bob even met a peacock that made him wonder about days gone by.

The vendors were great. The management behind the show was top notch. But what makes this event really special are the people who pay an admission fee, wander through the exhibits, fill the seats in the seminars, and leave with bags of goodies and armloads of blanks.

Let me give an example or two. An internet friend I have never met came bearing gifts and spent much of Saturday at our booth. By 2 pm we had grown close enough that Bob and I asked "CC" to watch our booth while we stuffed down a quick bite to eat. The case he brought me will always be cherished. Thank you. George and Linda stopped by at various times to talk of all things bamboo. Working on casting with Linda was a great joy. Seeing her smile when the double haul began to work made the 16 hour drive worth while. Ron stopped by, and just kept coming back. He seemed amazed that we would freely share our ideas and experiences, though that's what Bob and I that we came to do. Great meeting you, Ron. Jim stopped by and taught me some things about bamboo rods in Europe that I would never have learned any other way. What I wouldn't give to spend an afternoon digging around in his shop.

So from the bamboo perspective, the people in the aisles were what made the show. All of it was great, but it was you guys who plunked down the money and soaked up the atmosphere that made it unique.

Harry

BTW -- there are still a coupla spots available for the April class. Drop me a note for more details.

Harry Boyd

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: ICRBE through a different lens
Posted by: BobMcKamey (---.dhcp.jcsn.tn.charter.com)
Date: February 24, 2009 08:42PM

Harry -- It was another weekend to treasure in the memory book of my mind. I did not realize how much I missed our friendship, until it was renewed again. I could tell from the get-go that me and your friend/business partner - Bob Nunley, would get along just fine. Darn good fellow there and the stories between you and Bob will overwhelm one. Ya'll got to make our Duck River Gathering. Thanks for coming, bringing Bob Nunley with you and making me realize that we don't need to make our abscense that long again. I'll see if I can find a coupld of ole peacocks to be available at the Dcuk River Gathering for you and ole Bob Nun. Thanks for being my best of friend and minister!!

Bob McKamey
Custom Tackle Supply

Posted by: Robbie Smith (---.att-inc.com)
Date: February 25, 2009 07:46AM

Harry...it was a true pleasure to meet you and Bob. You both are true legends in the craft and we are fortunate that you chosen to share your talents via The Ozark Rod Makers School.
As a thread salesman, I would starve if I had to sell thread to cane guys but the cane rod is my absolute favorite. I love to fish with it and I love how the silk thread just melts into the blank. It only seems proper to pursue a trout with a rod made of natural materials...cane, silk, wood, agate, and others.
I hope one day you will see my face in one of your classes!

Robbie

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: February 25, 2009 08:35AM

Public Notice and Official Warning to all Micro Builders!

I know you spotted Harry's skill with silk thread on guide wraps -

Keep Away He is Mine!

Wait till you see the final report of weight reduction produced by his work with silk thread!

Gon Fishn

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 25, 2009 08:45AM

Bill;
I truly apologize, but your lack of efficiency in posting has put you behind the eight ball.

The advantage of living an hour and 20 minutes from the show is the ability to get straight home and apply the knowledge that has been learned.

In the future I would suggest letting Clyde or Bobby drive so you can post your “Public Notice and Official Warnings” with a laptop computer before people have their rods in the dryer.

Besides that what would I do with all the silk thread I have obtained from Robbie?

Posted by: Chris Davis (---.knology.net)
Date: February 25, 2009 09:50AM

Bill-
Looks like you are going to have to get up mighty early to beat Mr. Gardner to the punch-only way to top that would have been to have hand wrapped some silk on micros while Clyde took his turn at the wheel. Maybe the Highway Patrol could have caught some of that on a dashboard camera providing visual proof to be seen on the next episode of COPS!

Chris

Posted by: Scott Sheets (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: February 25, 2009 01:28PM

Haha, I love it. I just wrapped some silk that my wife picked out last night w/ some micro's. We all think way to alike.

BTW, I want to thank Harry for taking the time to explain the process of making a bamboo rod from start to finish to my wife. Out of the entire show the Bamboo rods you gentleman produce were by far her favorites.

Scott Sheets
www.smsrods.com

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.pool.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: February 26, 2009 12:27AM

Was great meeting you Harry and getting to spend some quality time with you and share some laughs. You are truely an artist and a gentleman. Hope to see you at the Duck River Shindig .

And BTW, make sure all your friends own weedeaters !!

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Posted by: Harry Boyd (---.shv.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 28, 2009 07:19AM

Thanks Scott, and J.B.

We enjoyed ourselves thoroughly, and like most rod craftsmen, we are obsessed with making the most of the medium in which we have chosen to work. And isn't it fun to be around others who are as completely obsessed as you are?

Harry

Harry Boyd

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster