I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

chromaseal causing fisheyes?
Posted by: David Page (---.239.28.71.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: February 23, 2009 08:14PM

I just put finish over a decal and the thing fisheyed like you won't believe and turned up on the edges a little too. I used a little bit of chromaseal around the edges just to build a little ramp more than anything (first time trying that). The decal is a peel and stick from decal connection (first time using these too). I've used other decals before and have had no problems at all so I'm really lost now. I cleaned the blank with alcohol really well before putting it on and used the vinyl application fluid on it and then cleaned the blank again to get all of that off. The only thing I can think is the chromaseal which makes absolutely no sense since I used it on the threads too. I also tinkered a bit with the "electric decals" and put a touch of chroma seal around edge of that and the same thing happened. HELP!

David Page
E-town, KY.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/2009 08:17PM by David Page.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: chromaseal causing fisheyes?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 23, 2009 09:16PM

The alcohol was most likely your problem. Never use solvent as the last step in surface preparation.

You can test your Chromaseal easy enough - take a scrap blank and wipe with alcohol. Then rinse with water. Scuff with Scotchbrite, then seal with Chromaseal. Let dry and apply finish. Does it fisheye? If yes, throw it out. But I'm betting it won't. The problem is elsewhere, you just need to eliminate things one at a time.

Re: chromaseal causing fisheyes?
Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: February 23, 2009 10:13PM

David,

IF you plan to use more peel and stick decals in the future, I suggest a spray can of called Krylon Workable Fixatif. Art and hobby stores carry it and it's the cats meow for putting over decals to prevent an "issues" with them. A couple light coats sprayed on, allowed to dry and finish over = perfect decals every single time. It wasn't likely the CP or the alcohol in my humble opinion, I think it's the adhesive on the decal that gets "mashed out from under" and the finish reacts against it. The harder you press the decal or burnish it, the worse the problem shows up. The CP would have worked if you had enough of it there to seal it down completely and likely you did not since CS is so thin. I've found that warming the finish in the decal area makes it even worse = thinner finish separates easier so avoid that as well. .

DR

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster