I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

conventional rod
Posted by: ridge orjalesa (---.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: February 19, 2009 02:42PM

guys, how do i locate the stripper and the rest of the guides on a conventional rod?

how hard is it to make a stand up boat rod?
can you guys recommend me a rodmaker magazine that covers these topics?
i really appreciate your help.
thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: conventional rod
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: February 19, 2009 03:04PM

ridge you need to do a search here and read the articles in the library.
check the library for the mag's directory and listing of articles.

Posted by: Chuck Payne (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: February 19, 2009 03:08PM

First Rodmaker Magazine, it has loads of great information. As to placement goes there are several placement guides out there, I know that mudhole has one on their page. A easy way to start is to take a comprable factory or existing rod you have and start with its measurements. Do a static test and tweek your guides from there. Hope this helps. Also I just finished my 3rd rod, its a very rewarding hobby, and with a little reading its not all that difficult. If you havent already I would suggest you get the "Rod-Building Guide" by Tom Kirkman. After reading it I build my first rod and had very few difficulties, and it fished perfectly.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 19, 2009 04:03PM

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: February 19, 2009 05:39PM

Ridge,

Might be best to just start with something like a chart as suggested, then take it farther with Tom's post on static placement and you'll get the idea pretty quickly. Just toy around with it a little and get the best "look" for the line to match the rods bend, then go casting with it and move things around to see if you can gain any distance. Most likely the static tested setup you walk outside with will be VERY usable!

DR

Posted by: Robert Balcombe (---.rb.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: February 19, 2009 07:31PM

Ridge what type of rod is your conventional rod? Where you place your stripper sometimes depends on what style of reel you are using. As for building a stand up rod, it is just as easy as building a 4wt. fly rod.

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 19, 2009 09:50PM

Ridge,
In a nutshell, put a guide on the rod so that there are enough guides positioned correctly to keep the line following the bend of a highly bent rod.

Don't put guides where the blank is straight and only put enough guides on the rod to keep the line off the blank.

Generally speaking, since the tip is smaller than the butt, your guides will get closer and closer together as you approach the tip.

Also, use ONLY enough guides to keep the line off the rod. Don't overdo the number of guides.

Too many folks think that a rod will perform better if the rod has more guides. Extra guides simply increase the weight of the rod without really adding anything to the rod.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.245.86.30.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: February 19, 2009 10:23PM

My stripper guide is placed 29% of the distance from the reel to the tip of the rod.
My first guide from the tip is based on the tip dia
Example a 4/64 tip would have the first guide approx 4 inches from the tip top
a 4.5/64 would be at 4.5 inches
a 5/64 would be at 5 inches
tolerance would be plus or minus .25 inches

Number of guides would be effective rod length in feet plus 1 guide plus tip top for heavy line work 15#+
Medium line weights 6# -12# would be rod length in feet plus tip top.
Light line duty less than 6# would be rod length in feet minus 1 plus tip top.

example 6 1/2 foot spinning rod
tip dia 5/64
10 # line

stripper guide 6-1/2' *12= 78 inches minus 8 inch rear grip, minus 4-5/8 reel seat = 65-3/8 times .29 = approx 19 inches or 59 inches from tip
tip to first guide approx 5 inches
distance from tip to reel =65-3/8 divided by 12 = 5.5 feet of effective rod round up for 6 guides plus tip top

This is probably going to be criticized but it's what I do when building every rod

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster