I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Old Daiwa rebuild or not? parts help
Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: February 16, 2009 11:21AM

I have an old Daiwa that a friend of mine loves. The IM6 rod seems sound, guides are terrible, blank finish is peeling off all over, reel seat is very odd and so is the grip. Here are some pic's of the handle and seat. The reel seat slips when tightened down tight and something has to be done there. If the seat were "ok", I'd just refinish the blank and put on a set of nice guides for him. Thoughts on parts? Or totally new rod? I'll bet getting that seat off will be a challenge.

Here are 3 pics:

[www.rodbuilding.org]

[www.rodbuilding.org]

[www.rodbuilding.org]

DR

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old Daiwa rebuild or not? parts help
Posted by: Steve Chontos (---.delta.com)
Date: February 16, 2009 11:43AM

That looks like the original Team Daiwa rods that were maroon and black? I have 4 in my shop right now that I am repairing for a customer. I have and had a bunch of these over the years and the finish peeled on all of them. I also had 2 with the same reel seat problem that you describe. I found thet the grip was slipping on the rod and needed to be re-attached. Can't buy those rods new any longer and the New Team Daiwa rods are over $100. Guess it depends on what you'll charge your buddy and if he thinks it's worth it or not. I have had good luck matching Batson guides to those found on many Daiwa rods but I think they come with Fuji guides.
Good Luck

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 16, 2009 12:34PM

DR,
Any time that I have an older rod come into the shop, I generally suggest a complete strip and rebuild with new parts.
The only thing that I salvage is the blank.
I strip the blank, sand the blank to a matte finish, and then rebuild using new grips, reel seat and guides.

If the blank is a favorite one for the customer it makes sense to do it.
Of course many times the cost of the rebuild will considerably outweigh the purchase of a new rod.

However, that is why we are here - to provide a service to the clients.

I seldom try to ever keep the grips or reel seat on an older rod. Just too many times when I didn't that the seat or grip would go bad within a year and then the client would bring it back asking to fix that as well.

It is just simpler to do everything at one time and actually cost less money than piecemealing the fix.

I don't try to match the old parts. Generally speaking it isn't worth it, and most times new parts will work better any way. I simply ask the client what he/she would like in the way of components and build as any new build.

Take care
Roger

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2009 12:35PM by roger wilson.

Posted by: Robert Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: February 16, 2009 12:40PM

Just make sure you toughly clean in speck the blank for splits and cracks

Good Wraps Bob

Date: February 16, 2009 01:31PM

Steve you are correct! Black and red team daiwa peeling like crazy, guides not even lined up with the reel seat. Anyone have a source for that bulged pistol grip? Looks and feels like Hypalon to me. What are you doing with yours Steve? Are you replacing the pistol?

I think we will go build a new. After doing some searching around and speaking to a few builders it just makes sense. He liked the Castaway reel seat I showed him so all I really need to do is pick a blank and get a pistol grip, the latter seemingly to be the hard part.

DR

Posted by: Doug Cox (74.206.84.---)
Date: February 16, 2009 05:25PM

The Team Daiwa rods that I have repaired or redone completely are sort of a 2 piece rod. The blank is glued to the inside of a independent grip and reel seat assembley. Almost like a flipping stick that you can't get apart. It takes a lot of time and work to replace the eva or cork grips.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2009 06:34PM by Doug Cox.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.248.85.29.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: February 16, 2009 05:59PM

Check out Jann's Netcraft for the pistol grip. Thy had cork ( I think looks better ) but they may have EVA ??

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Steve Chontos (---.asm.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 16, 2009 11:15PM

Duane, The customer asked me to repair the rods so I am replacing some guides and tips. Believe it or not, his are not peeling that bad so I don't have to worry about that. As far as that style reel seat, I don't think they are available anywhere, not that I found anyway. Daiwa has some different reelseats that I like but can't buy outright.
Good Luck,
Steve

Date: February 17, 2009 09:00AM

Thanks Steve,

Super Sticker has a rather nice looking pistol grip setup in cork, I have one on the way to see what it looks like in hand.

DR

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster