I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Graphite Tubing
Posted by: James Willard (208.46.72.---)
Date: February 11, 2009 02:19PM

I just bought some bulk graphite tubing that looks kind of like carbon fiber from Jann's Netcraft. My main concern is the finish, it is not smooth, am I supposed to or can I put some sort of finish like permagloss or a lite coat of threadmaster lite. Maybe spray the grip with a coat of the same finish that I use on my blanks.

I also wonder if anybody has used this stuff before and what they think of it, and if you have any tips about using it. I think I saw some pieces that are supposed to be used with it to finish off the ends and to make them fit to a reel seat, but I don't really understand those parts yet, so hopefully I can get some help on that too.

I have included a link of the page where I got the tubing from because there is a picture of it just in case you know it as something else or if you are not sure what I am talking about. [www.jannsnetcraft.com]

Thanks for your help everyone.
James

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Graphite Tubing
Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: February 11, 2009 02:58PM

James,

I remember seeing the stuff in the catalog, and it sparked my attention for use as a Tennessee handle for spinning rods. I think Netcraft sells the bushings to cut and form cork ends and internal bushings for a Tennessee handle. As far as using them to mate with a reel seat, you will probably have to shape them a little. If the ID and OD are similar to the tubing that Batson Enterprises has (really, I can't see them being all that different), you may be able to use some of the EVA and proof board bushings that they have.

I would think that you could use a finish, such as is suggested for the carbon fiber sleeving as a finish, as the spray on variety may be a little easier to deal with in that case.

Joe

Date: February 11, 2009 03:35PM

Actually, it is the same tubing as the batson stuff, just on closeout. The bushings that I am getting to finish off the ends and stuff are the ones that batson sells with their tubing. I don't plan on using it as a Tennessee handle, instead it is just going to be a super lite full length casting grip.

And thanks, I think that I will go ahead and use the spray finish on it.

James

Posted by: mike harris (---.borgwarner.com)
Date: February 11, 2009 04:11PM

If you think that tubing is going to give you a super light full length casting grip you need to get a scale. It will make a nice handle but it will be considerably heavier than many other options, including plain cork. Polyurethane foam cores with a carbon fiber skin are much lighter, and you can shape it into more comfortable shapes than just a straight tube.

Date: February 11, 2009 05:22PM

I will definately weigh it, I had not done so yet, but it felt pretty light compared to the same length of cork. As far as the foam and carbon fiber skin, I just recently found out about them and I will be getting some from a supplier, Riley Rods, after the expo.
James

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 11, 2009 06:19PM

James you can finish it if you choose. But it is not necessary to do so, will work great just as it is with out any challenges.
And depending on how its done the end result can be lighter then cork

Date: February 12, 2009 12:19AM

Steve, I was hoping that it would be as light if not lighter, but I think that I ruined any chance of that by putting on a few good coats of finish. I really wish I had weighed it before and after. The few places that I have found the stuff it was just so expensive that when I found it for this cheap I could not pass it up, worth some experimenting anyways. Thanks for your input everyone.
James

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.248.81.198.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: February 12, 2009 11:22AM

James, what kind of spray finish do you use ?

Bill - willierods.com

Date: February 12, 2009 04:47PM

The automotive platicote that is sold at autozone and checkers.
James

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster